few questions from a windows convert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• few questions from a windows convert

first thing, i was always removing spyware from my windows install. do i still need to be concerned about this with linux?

secondly, do i ever need to defragment my harddrive? or does ReiserFS ( the file system my linux install uses) eliminate this problem?

thanks in advance

Ive never noticed any spyware problems on my linux box. As for the second you don't need to defrag your hd, the *nix filesystems in general are much much better about avoiding fragmentation than windows is :cheers:

Comment

ah, thanks for the reply :D

Comment

coming back to this...is there any maintenance i should do to my box to keep it tip top?

Comment

Just keep all your software up to date, although the method for doin this varies between distro's :cheers:

Comment

Any links to guides for doing that? For lets say Red Hat and Mandrake?

Comment

For Mandrake check out this thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...&threadid=8680
              Asklepios put up some good links about URPMI there :thumb: For Redhat I would suggest apt-rpm, which you can check out here :cheers:

Comment

ah...urpmi.
                that really is a great piece of app. anything that even comes near it would be emerge of gentoo otherwise nothing beats that thing.
                Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                ======================
                jabber : [email protected]
                =======================
                Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I love my emerge :D apt on Debian is another exceptional package manager, but as long as I got the CPU power to compile everything I'm never giving up Gentoo :woot:

Comment

Working...
                  X