New Windows Shells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Windows Shells

Lately I have gotten very bored of Explorer, so I starting looking into new shellls that are downloadable off the net. Has anyone ever tried a new shell? Im just worried about crashing my system.

Another thing is, untill I get off my ass and do some electrical work, this machine is still a family machine. So is there a way to run explorer in one profile, and my own shell in my profile? I figure no, but who knows what some of those crazy programmers out there can do.

Any shell recommendations?

Technically, yes you can run the two different browsers in separate profiles.
    I would start out in Administrator mode, give everyone else a profile in which the folder with your browser is locked out to them,(permissions/sharing), then while leaving IE on your profile, you can just crank it up and run with that.

What the heck, most of the fun with computers is experimenting, make sure you have a good restore point, go to town and try it!

This goes into some detail on how to lock accounts out:

Comment

considering the nice pretty link in the bottom right of his sig, I'm pretty sure he's talking about windows explorer, not internet explorer ;)

Comment

My bad, sorry.

Then I would try Litestep (litestep.com naturally), then you would have a shell that looks more like UNIX, but it doesn't change the OS, just changes the interface you're working through the OS with

Comment

apparently LiteStep was on techtv tonight and has subsequently been hit hard. Both litestep.com and litestep.net are coughing up connection errors or taking minutes to load the front page.

But once the main page of litestop.com finally loaded there was an interesting line in the description that I think many of us may appreciate:
          To switch to Litestep once you have downloaded it, you simply need to run the installation file. The next time you start Windows, the Litestep shell will be loaded instead of your usual Windows desktop. [b]With Litestep instead of Explorer as the shell, your system will run faster because it requires much less code.

Comment

Yep Im talkin bout Windows explorer, sorry for not being clear.

I watched techTV tonight and thats what got me searching again, but I have been looking for a good one for quite some time now. I have yet to check out litestep for that exact reason, its slow. For some reason right now my ADSL is running incredibly slow, so combined with the slowness of the litestep site, it would be like 28.8k dailup.

I did some searching, and all I found was a new wallpaper. Its like going to the store for milk and coming out with chocolate, cookies, and coke. But oh well. Any other suggestions?

Comment

apparently you can get litestep with the "Official LiteStep Installer" here: http://beyondconvention.net/ohussain/lsinstaller/

this site isn't slow (yet), but it doesn't have a lot of info either

Comment

Working...
              X