$500 gaming system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $500 gaming system

Friend wants gaming system for $500 to run around 3.2ghz (OC'd speed), 512mb ram, and a descent graphics card (will get OC'd). I am thinking this setup:

P4 2.4 HT 800
    Abit MB
    ATI 9600 256
    512 DDR 3200

not sure on OC specs for the following:
    Cooling (needs to be air)
    Motherboard (havent looked at specific models)
    Ram to overclock (timings?get ram to 1:1?)

*I have built numerous computers and upgraded laptops so I know the basics but am just getting into OC'ing.

I would get the ASUS P4P800 if you have never overclocked before, the Abit will leave you scratching your head.

I would also recommend a Ti4200 128mb, it will be faster AND cheaper than that 9600.

And make sure you get 2x256mb sticks to run dual channel, 1x512mb stick will not get you this feature and you will have an underperforming setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
      I would get the ASUS P4P800 if you have never overclocked before, the Abit will leave you scratching your head.
      What are you smokin' man? Abit's SoftMenu OC'ing menu in the Bios is one of the best of the best for ease of overclocking. It incorporates FSB, Mem Dividers, and all voltages into the same, easy to configure menu. Personally I'd get the Abit IC7-G

Edit: Also, get some nice Cas2 timed PC3200 or PC3500 RAM, don't get anything more than Cas2 PC3500. Benchmarks for the differences to support that is here

Comment

Yes I much prefer Abit's (EPoX's, Gigabyte's, etc,..) style of BIOS setup to that used by ASUS on my P4P800 Deluxe but the mobo does do well with the 2.4C on it at 3.24GHz with just the standard Intel HSF on it runnin' 24/7.

Comment

Yes but I am referring to the more complex nature of the BIOS settings on the Abit...i'm sure he can learn though.

Comment

Working...
          X