Help with Networking Plz!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Networking Plz!

Im trying to network this two pc's using peer-to-peer connection type. The other pc has Winxp Home (this is where the DSL is connected) and the other is with XP Pro.

I have everything setup e.g. the NIC cards, the cross ethernet cable, etc.. in fact it says connected but it does't. Have i done wrong? I've done this before with 2 XP Home PC's and it worked fine. But now i'm stuck.

Many thanks in advance to those who can help me!

Did you set IP addresses?

Comment

I did on the XP Home (this is where the DSL connected) and on the XP Pro i just set it to auto detect.

Comment

That's not going to work, unless you have a DHCP server. You'll need to set both addresses and subnet masks to suit.

Comment

I see... thanks beefey. How would I do it? Co'z I don't know how to setup them, co'z I usually just auto setup them.

Many thanks!

Comment

control panel\network connections\local area connection

right click on LAN connection and select properties.
            select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button.
            Check 'Use the following IP addresses:" and enter the IP address and subnet mask.
            click ok

Comment

minibubba... do i need to specify DNS as well? I dont know about DNS.

Thanks man!

and Oh by the way... IP Add have to be in sequence aren't they? e.g. 198.122.122.05 then followed by 198.122.122.06. are they right? ANd subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 all the time?

Sorry em so dumb! thanks!

Comment

no DNS, not for what you're going anyway :)

for IP address just make sure the first 3 octets match and the last is between 1 and 255 but not the same

using your example:

you could have:
                198.122.122.05 & 198.122.122.06
                -or-
                198.122.122.05 & 198.122.122.156

but not:
                198.122.122.05 & 198.122.122.05

and yes, the subnet must be the same for each

Comment

it doesn't work still.. I have the ip's setup. series ip and thesame subnet mask, but still no luck.

I've checked in the activity panel and each pc is uploading packets, but not receiving any. :(

Comment

OK, what exactly did you set all the IP details to? And can they ping each other?

Comment

Beefy, I used 192.168.0.1 for the XP Home (this is where the DSL is connected to) and 192.168.0.2 for the XP pro. Subnet is 255.255.255.0 thesame to both PC's. No DNS etc..

The PC says its connected but when i ping they can't communicate to each other. It says 100 Loss.

And also on my Windows XP Pro i got error saying "Error on Network DDE and it needs to be close Sorry for the inconvenience" blah blah!

Many thanks to you guys! Im still stuck! :(

Comment

Did you set up the XP Home (this is where the DSL is connected to) First?? as it has to be done before the other box?

Comment

Yup i did! actually it was running fine. Until the other Winxp Home that was connected to it got broke down. And thats why i'm connecting another PC to it.

Haaaaay... I don't know.. em stuck. I just can't figure out whats going on.

Comment

do me a favor, type the following from the command prompt of each PC:
                            [code:1:62c6b73774]ping 127.0.0.1[/code:1:62c6b73774]and give us the results :)

Comment

thanks minibubba for the reply. i'm going to do what you told and thats for sure... but right now, I can't give you the results co'z em not on both machines. Tommorow i'll post the results. May i ask whats that numbers?

Comment

Working...
                              X