Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help with P4 3.06 Ghz FSB533

I had a big problem. Today I bought a brand new Intel P4
    3.06Ghz. I have an Asus P4G8X-Deluxe. So I uninstalled my current P4 2.53 Ghz cpu and placed my 3.06 into the socket, fit perfectly following the manuals instructions, then pushed down the lever, placed the cooler perfectly and plugged it.
    The problem came when I powered on the computer, the cooler started for a few seconds and then stopped together with the whole system. I tried a few times and nothing.
    I started uninstalling everything to find that when I lifted the cooler, the CPU was completely stuck on it !!!! like if it was glued with cement. Moreover, the lever was still pushed down.....

I don't know what the heck this is....the cpu is still there, completely stuck to the cooler.... What should I do please???? I haven't done anything wrong during the instalation process. I installed back my P4 2.53 ghz and everything is back to normal....

please heeeeeelp

Originally posted by Nico3d
    the cpu is still there
    Well at least that's something.. :laugh:

Hmm what kind of thermal compound did you use? (The grease between cpu and sink.)

Did you use the compound delivered with your new cpu or something else?

Comment

I used intel's cooler, the one that ships with the cpu

Comment

Originally posted by The__tweaker
        I meant the sticky grease between cpu and sink, what did you apply?

Comment

nothing, but that shouldn't be a problem.
          I mean, my P4 2.53 never had grease, nothing and it got never ever stuck to the heatsink

Comment

No, the Intel heatsink has a black TIM that melts to the CPU when it gets hot...

Comment

my P4 2.53 never had grease, nothing and it got never ever stuck to the heatsink
              This sink of yours, is it the regular version or the ultra version..?

The latter, often called grease monkey needs it's grease, or else it's stuck.

Comment

"No, the Intel heatsink has a black TIM that melts to the CPU when it gets hot"

soulburner.... I don't know what you mean with this..... but
                actually, when I removed my P4 2.53, it was all covered in black....but I had never put anything on it... no grease no anything

Tweaker....I don't know what version it is. It just came in the box with the processor. The CPU is the 3.06Ghz FSB 533.....
                if it's ultra or regular, no idea...

Comment

"No, the Intel heatsink has a black TIM that melts to the CPU when it gets hot"

soulburner.... I don't know what you mean with this..... but
                  actually, when I removed my P4 2.53, it was all covered in black....but I had never put anything on it... no grease no anything
                  Yes, that's the TIM (Thermal Interface Material).

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
                    No, the Intel heatsink has a black TIM that melts to the CPU when it gets hot...
                    Which I don't recommend using at all, rip it of and apply some real thermal compound instead.

Comment

As for your CPU being ripped outta the socket, thats alright, it don't hurt anything. Also, when applying some real TIM to the CPU, only put a drop about the size of a BB right in the middle of the CPU heatspreader then apply the heatsink/fan, as that keeps the CPU from getting stuck to the HSF, but is an adequate amount of TIM as it spreads out among placing of the HSF

Comment

Working...
                      X