Stumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumped

Ok I have been working with this problem for about 2 weeks and I am finally stumped and thought I would come back here for some help. Here is my setup

Gigabyte ga7n400pro2
    athlon 2500 oc'd to 2.2 ghz
    Kingston pc3200 ram 2x 256
    Thermaltake Volcano 7+
    Evga Geforce FX 5900
    Wd 160 gig sata hd
    Powmax Demon Case here is the link to the case http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...145-025&depa=1
    Powmax 580 watt psu here is the link to the psu http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=1

My temps are as follows

Idle 48
    Load 55
    Ambient 34

First thing I done when I got the case and the psu was to take the cheap fan grills off as they were restricting my airflow. The fan in the bottom of the case and the one on the side are intakes. The one on the back and the psu are used for exhaust. Also this case has a grill in the top off it to let air in. I lapped my volcano 7+ starting with 220 grit and worked may way up to 2000 grit and am using artic silver ceramique thermal compound. The temp only varies about 2 degrees weither the side is on or off of the case. I have reset the hsf on the cpu 3 differents times thinking that maybe I had done it wrong but with the same results. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also was thinking about going water cooled with this system and was wondering if the thermaltake aquarius 2 would be a good setup to use for a first timer.

I had also tried the new cpu cooler by gigabyte: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...128-001&depa=1
    This hsf just made my problem worse. I could not even load a game up with this hsf cause my processor would overheat and shut off the pc

Comment

What method are you using to measure the temperatures?

Oh, and forget about the Aquarius unit. It sucks for an overclocked rig. I tested it out on a Barton core 2500+ overclocked to 2205 and the results were not that good. Quiet, but not really that cool. Here is the review of the Aquarius 3 cooler, which is supposed to be better than the v2 model you mentioned.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

I am going by the bios, gigabyte's easy tune 4, sisoft sandra, and motherboard monitor.

Comment

I've used plenty of Gigabyte mobo's and I've found that they register temps around 5-7C higher than other brand mobo's with the same chipset so unless ya start hittin' the >60C I wouldn't be to worried about it especially with that sort of room temp.

Comment

Ok gotcha thanks for the help . Would it make that big of a difference if I switched from ceramique to as5? Also can you recommend a good watercooled kit for newbies. I would prefer something that is not an external unit like the aquarius 3. Looking to spend no more than $300 us dollars for it.

Comment

If ya switched from Ceramique to AS5 ya'll likely see a 1C drop but as to liquid coolin' I can't help ya there.

Comment

Well, $300 is a very good budget for water cooling. Go to Danger Den , build your own kit, and purchase it. I built my first water cooling system for my neighbor using this kit and it was really easy :thumb: . But you really dont need water cooling unless you want to overclock more. THose temps are fine. Btw, 34C in your house? Very warm house :wow:. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Btw, 34C in your house? Very warm house
                  Maybe think of an a/c unit, they are real cheap nowadays. You said you had a $300 cooling budget. An a/c like the one I use(5000btu maytag) cost me $139cdn new 9 months ago and shouldnt cost you more than $100us. Those high room temps are not suitable for modern computer hardware.
                  athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                  tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                  asus a7n8xe-dlx
                  thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                  bfg 6800gt
                  seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                  samsung dvdrw
                  2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                  logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                  2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                  creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                  mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                  DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                  thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                  seagate sataII 500gb
                  evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                  samsung sata dvd-rw
                  2x1024 ocz black
                  logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                  ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

It's not even summer here yet either, indeed and A/C Is in order. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Big oops on my part there guys I meant 24 not 34.

Comment

Well then ya do have a prob. What speed are ya usin' the V7+ on? Have ya got the clip around the right way? :?:

Comment

Those temps are using the v7+ on high. And the clip end that has the slot for the screwdriver is on this side of the heatsink. Also for some reason I have 2 yellow wires coming off the fan instead of just one. I have been to thermaltakes site and it only shows one yellow wire that you hook up to the mobo. Could it be that I have a defective v7+?? Sorry for the crappy picture I am at work and will try to remember to take a pic when I get home in the morning to show yoou what it looks like on my mobo.

Comment

here is a close up of the v7+

Comment

and here is thhe wires. I havve the one with the yellow end (looks white in the pic) hooked up to the mb

Comment

Working...
                              X