No announcement yet.

How do I get Win 98 SE to recognise my joystick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get Win 98 SE to recognise my joystick?

I have a soundblaster 16 that I just bought and I have a joystick that hooks into it. It has the big connection on it. BUT, I have never had this problem, but I can't get win 98 SE to recognise my joystick! I have tried all sorts of configurations (2 axis 2 button, etc.) but it keeps saying the joystick is not connected?? It IS connected! (very well) I just don't understand what is wrong! Can someone help me?? I am trying to play Wing Commander the kilrathi saga and I need to have it on a DOS based Operating system!
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

what kind of joystick?

Comment

I am not sure! I bought it a long time ago. it just says made in china on the bottom, but that is all! I have no drivers or anything! It has four buttons and a seperate trigger button. That is about all I know. Sorry I can't be of more help!
      Here are my specs:
      System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

I think you need to find a make & model on that rascal, drivers is what you need.
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
          I think you need to find a make & model on that rascal, drivers is what you need.

Well it was so old I just ended up throwing it away! I will get a new one with the drivers included tomorrow! That is the best way, but thanks for all your help!
          Here are my specs:

Comment

Hope you learn a valuable lesson here as have I, in these past years, Never throw driver disks away and never buy one(a joysitck) with out drivers or documentation that pertians to the whereabouts of a website or mailing-list where you could get one from.

Comment

Originally posted by #Hashx#
              Hope you learn a valuable lesson here as have I, in these past years, Never throw driver disks away and never buy one(a joysitck) with out drivers or documentation that pertians to the whereabouts of a website or mailing-list where you could get one from.

Well it never came with a driver disk, but in win xp, it provides one for me. But in win 98se?? forget it! So I guess I just got burned on that deal! But it really is no big loss! It was old and time to go anyway! I just want to get one that works! THIS time I will make SURE I get drivers with it!
              Here are my specs:

Comment

Why didn't ya connect the games port that came with ya mobo when the one on the s/c didn't work for ya? (most likely SE couldn't recognise the gameport on the s/c) Also most simple joysticks don't need drivers as Windows has what is required for them to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                  Also most simple joysticks don't need drivers as Windows has what is required for them to work.
                  That's what I was thinking. You should simply be able to plug it in, select the type of joystick and it should work. It's only the fancy ones that need drivers.

Comment

Working...
                  X