Spy vs Spy: Ad-aware vs Spybot S&D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spy vs Spy: Ad-aware vs Spybot S&D

FlexBeta team did a comparison between two of the best Spyware/Adware/Malware finding apps i.e. AdAware and Spybot S&D to know which one comes out tops. Team installed 28 apps known to be spyware, various malicious ActiveX controls and collected various tracking cookies on a Win 2000 PC which was used for this benchmark.

Result: AdAware found 293 more problems than Spybot S&D.
    Read the whole article
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

After reading through the article, clearly both programs know of certain spyware programs, cookies, etc. that the other doesn't. Although the test finds Adware to be better, it's seems like it couldn't hurt to use both. Haven't treid Spybot in a while, I guess I'll use both. Now I have yet another link for my sig....

Actually, when it comes down to it, neither program can remove certain spyware programs (or whatever), you might have to do it manually (not fun,:barf: ).
    Many other ActiveX components were installed from malicious sites. In addition, many sites planted cookies which track online activities. Below is a screenshot of Internet Explorer with all the toolbars visible and one of the desktop which reveals many of the programs that were installed.
    Those types can be much harder to remove.

Comment

I personally don't have a great deal of faith in AdAware, that prolonged period without updating in that last year made me question the dedication of lavasoft.

No question that they make a sound product, just that I need a tool that has a reasonable expectation of being up to date.

Also, no mention of settings used for either program is mentioned in this article. A nice article, but I wonder at some point exactly what the findings are based on and what those findings mean.

I also have a tendency to strongly favor Spybot Search & Destroy simply for it's immunization capabilities which I don't believe is a feature of AdAware :?:

I think a great number of folks here do actually use both of these softwares - which is likely to be the most efficient method of all.
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I don't think anyone really needs to use more than one of these two apps.

Spybot S&D is what I use, it's great!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
          I personally don't have a great deal of faith in AdAware, that prolonged period without updating in that last year made me question the dedication of lavasoft.
          I understand you being disappointed with AdAware Mr. C but the period you are talking about is when AdAware was planning to launch a whole new version, version 6. that was taking most of their time.
          also at that time they were having some troubles with an organisation which they theirself founded (i got this info from their newsletter "The Eye"). you should entrust the app once again as i started using AdAware only cos you used to recommend it. i can't see you moving away from it.
          active developement is happening on update front and more often than not AdAware does catch things that Spybot left. i use both of them as it makes me feel more comfortable but you must give AdAware a try once again :)
          Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
          Last Updated:
          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
          ======================
          jabber : [email protected]
          =======================
          Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
          yabaa dabaa doo...
          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

There is even a newer version than the original version 6 of Ad-Aware.... the new version you can update just like any anti-virus program, it gets the new update and installs it with one click.

Make sure you check it out... :thumb:

Comment

heh, just what I was going to say. They update the reference file about once a week, and it catches everything on your comp. Great program in my opinion. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

I have used the SpyBot about 8 months and Ad-Aware about 3 months now and I think the Ad-Aware recognizes much more stuff than the SpyBot. Me likey Ad-Aware! :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                X