Which Chipset/board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Chipset/board?

Ok, I'm at my wits end with this DFI LanParty piece of crap I've got. I've got an Athlon XP 3000+ 400fsb Barton, with Radeon 9800 Pro, and Seagate 160 GB harddrive, and looks like I'm looking for a new mobo....
    Is the nForce 2 Ultra 400 still the best chipset, if not, what is?
    And what board? need dual channel for 1 gb PC3200 RAM, 4x usb on the back, onboard LAN, and SATA, I don't need RAID
    been looking at Chaintech, Gigabyte, and Asus.... because I don't think I'm ever going to touch DFI again... sent my board to them twice, and still no change in problems, GRRRR!!!!

:mad:
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1
    AMD FX-4100 BE
    8GB G.Skill DDR3
    Radeon HD6870
    Soundblaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro
    Logitech G15
    Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

i got refferred to an epox, and i love it, look at em and see if you like it...newegg.com is your best place to look...not that many boards but just a suggestion

Comment

what problems are you having with the DFI mobo? from what i understand they are supposed to be pretty good

anyway, for AMD 32-bit solutions the nForce 2 Ultra 400 is still the best imo. personally, i think brands like asus, epox, and abit are the best

Comment

Originally posted by DarkRose
        been looking at Chaintech, Gigabyte, and Asus.... because I don't think I'm ever going to touch DFI again... sent my board to them twice, and still no change in problems, GRRRR!!!!
        :mad:
        Oh, I know how you feel. Presonally, I won't touch another Asus mobo since the problems that I had with my old one (RMAed, the second one also failed). After that I won't touch anything Asus, esp. AMD Asus mobo's.

With that in mind, I wouldn't reccomend an Asus mobo. The Abit NF7-S that I'm using now is lovely, great board. The Epox AMD boards are always worth a look also. Personally, I think that most of the big manu's are O.K.- just avoid PC Chips.

As for the chipset, the nForce 2 Ultra 400 is still the best for AMD XP CPU's. Most of them will suport what you need, only the cheaper ones don't have SATA (and they tent to be 'normal' nForce chipsets).

Comment

Well, I started with mobo problems, installed XP Pro, SP1, and as soon as I install the nForce chipset drivers (no matter what version), start coming up with delayed write errors, registry errors, bunches of stuff, system toasty, no going nowhere. i've had 2 bad HDDs (Maxtor, DFI says they have most problems with them) I've sent to mobo in to DFI twice, the last time was with my HDD, which they determined bad, but said mobo was good, tested it with my copy of windows, no problems, as soon as my new HDD arrived (a 160gb Seagate) i put everything back together, HDD works, and as soon as i installed the mobo nForce drivers,........ same problem. could this be a memory problem? i've already replaced a questionable (el cheapo) power supply, a bad HDD, and had the mobo looked at by DFI twice..... memory is the only other major component I haven't checked out, besides running memtest86 on it, and not really sure how to use that real well..... I'm using Corsair 1 gb (2x512) dual channel XMS memory.... if nothing works, gonna get a new mobo and send pics to DFI of their mobo, post-12 gauge..... heh. :grr:
          AMD FX-4100 BE
          8GB G.Skill DDR3
          Radeon HD6870
          Logitech G15

Comment

Originally posted by Black Rain
            Oh, I know how you feel. Presonally, I won't touch another Asus mobo since the problems that I had with my old one (RMAed, the second one also failed). After that I won't touch anything Asus, esp. AMD Asus mobo's.

With that in mind, I wouldn't reccomend an Asus mobo. The Abit NF7-S that I'm using now is lovely, great board. The Epox AMD boards are always worth a look also. Personally, I think that most of the big manu's are O.K.- just avoid PC Chips.

As for the chipset, the nForce 2 Ultra 400 is still the best for AMD XP CPU's. Most of them will suport what you need, only the cheaper ones don't have SATA (and they tent to be 'normal' nForce chipsets).
            i have a Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev. 2.0 and have found it to be absolutely fantastic. there are quite a few others around TT and other forums with this same board and giving the same feedback...(not trying to start a ) just giving my :2cents:

Comment

Bak to my comment about my errors.Ive been getting errors and something about a copy of the Registry somewhere, etc. Also under Admin tools, event viewer, I've got a lot of disk error 51's,with this explanation (no delayed write errors at the moment becaue nFocrce chipset drivers not installed, those errors and the registry error only happen after instaling them)

Explanation
              An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.

does this mean i might indeed have a memory problem? I made a brain fart boo-boo early on setting up this sytem (misread some advice) and acidentally bumped the memory speed to 800mhz (400x2, not realizing the number was doubled), the system would not boot until the CMOS was cleared and fail-safe settings restored.

also, may be the wrong spot, but in my ATI control panel, under SMARTGART, it won't let me enable AGP 8x, keeps it set at "off" after testing and re-booting, 8x is enabled in my BIOS, and it's an AGP 8x board with a 9800 Pro... where's my problem????

:( :shrug:
              AMD FX-4100 BE
              8GB G.Skill DDR3
              Radeon HD6870
              Logitech G15

Comment

Run Memtest86 to check ya memory. I hope that ya have XPsp1 burnt to CD and ya not downloading it straight from the web. The prob with SMARTGART (why do ATi feel like they have to shout a function out) is that the chipset drivers havn't taken or ya loaded the video drivers b4 the chipset ones.

Comment

At the moment I have NO chipset drivers loaded because every time i load them, system crashes and I have to re-install Windows. I've used memtest86, but I'm not sure excactly how to use it, there were a couple of options i tried with it (don't remember which ones) that locked/crashed the program immediately.... I'll try again as soon as i find the floppy and see which options they were
                  AMD FX-4100 BE
                  8GB G.Skill DDR3
                  Radeon HD6870
                  Logitech G15

Comment

Try memtest86+ , it works better with nvidia chipsets. Much better than the original for your situation. Use the f1 safemode if this version still freezes for you. Read the webpage.
                    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                    asus a7n8xe-dlx
                    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                    bfg 6800gt
                    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                    samsung dvdrw
                    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                    seagate sataII 500gb
                    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                    samsung sata dvd-rw
                    2x1024 ocz black
                    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Ran 13 loops with no problems. Memory Sizing -probe option, if I do "memory sizing" and "all" it locks.... the only 2 major components of the system I haven't had checked/reaplced are the memory and CPU itself..... memory is Corsair Dual channel 1GB XMS Pc3200 and CPU is Athlon XP 3000+ 400mhz FSB.... )Barton)
                      AMD FX-4100 BE
                      8GB G.Skill DDR3
                      Radeon HD6870
                      Logitech G15

Comment

Working...
                      X