Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive space disappearing

Hi,
    I am curious if someone could help me. I have a large hard drive 120Gig, and when I add up all the folders it only amounts to 1/3 of the total space for the hard drive, yet I keep getting a listing in my computer, drive, properties that it is only 9% free space on it. I am not running my OS or any programs from it, it's basically archived files. What could be the culprit?
    Could someone be using my computer as a server without my knowledge? I have Norton Firewall 2004 installed and the latest Antivirus def's as well as running a full system scan in safe mode, and ran lavasoft's adaware as well.
    Please shed some light...It's really annoying me.
    cheers
    Gumbylives

When you "add up the folders" you're probably adding wrong or something. Right-click properties the drive. It should show you that you only have 9% free. Get SeqouaiView
    to help find what's taking up so much space.

And just in case you haven't (you probably have), empty the recycle bin. You could also use disk cleanup (start > programs > accessories).

Comment

In case you use Nortons data erase protection make sure to emty "norton protected recyckle bin" or you old trashed files will be kept there consuming space.

Comment

Check on system restore too. By default it uses an insane amount of disk space. Knock it down so it uses 1GB at the most. Go to system properties and click on the tab system restore, and you're there. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

let's just make this easy, go download this nice tiny piece of freeware: [SequoiaView]

it will give you a graphical representation of what it using up space, it should show you the problem file(s) immediately

*nevermind, i see Yawgm0th already suggested it

Comment

Working...
          X