Heatsink Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heatsink Mounting

I wanted to mount a heatsink to the memory on my graphics card to aid in overclocking, but I wasn't sure how to get it to stick on and still make good contact with the memory. ??

you have a few options:
    1) put a small dab of superglue in 2 corners (diagonally opposite ones) of the ram sinks
    2) use a thermal epoxy eg: arctic silver epoxy
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

They do make a ceramic adhesive that works well, Actic Silvers comes to mind as one of the better ones availale. And the ceramic adhesives are permanent, but, do allow for positioning before they set.
      Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Comment

Ya, what if i want to take it off later tho? O well.

Comment

You can get thermal tape that you can take off. The crazies seem to stay away from it ('not as good as ceramic adhesive') but it looks O.K. to me. Its got to be better than no heatsink at all.

Comment

i got something similar to these....

i got mine in blue, and had the tape on the back...they do work, i put four of them on my 9600 256mb, on the top side of the card, and they move the heat well off of the card.....

take a look....

Comment

off hand, I'd say your best bet, if you want to get them off later, would be to use two tiny dabs of super glue on opposing corners, as stated by andy, and then in the middly use some thermal grease. THe super glue can easily be seperated with a paring knife, and the thermal grease over the center of the chip will carry most of the heat. If you want a better thermal bond, get some thermal epoxy. In both cases I would use Arctic Alumina or Arctic Alumina Epoxy. Both contain no silver at all (they have the same performance as silver compound though), so they do not conduct or carry electricity. This is very good when you are working around memory, because if you mess up and accidently get some on the memory leads and bridge them, they wont short or fry or anything. Also, if you cant find heat sinks, just get a copper dynatron 1U heatsink and cut it into chunks to fit on top of your RAM chips. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Thanks! My graphics card is on the way to being faster!

Comment

Working...
                X