Windows Installer Problem. Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Installer Problem. Help.

I am having a problem while trying to install an application on windows xp.
    It returns an error like this:

"Error: -1639 invalid command line argument. Consult the windows installer SDK for detailed command line help."

Please Tell me what to do.
    Thanks.

Does this happen with anything you install, or just a certain program?

Comment

this happens with most programs trying to install.

Comment

Start > Run > Services.msc
        Make sure Windows Installer is set to manual. However, even when I try installing things with it disabled, I don't get that message.

If you have any virus or spyware programs, run those now (and update them, of course). If you don't have one of them (or both) that's a very possilbe cause of the problem.

If you type an invalid character into the "company" field while installing it can cause this problem, according to this:
        http://www.intuit.com/support/quicke...in/574478.html

That's all I have found, so far. Other sites say the same thing. Try some Google searches on your own. Maybe some Microsoft ones too.

Comment

Re: Windows Installer Problem. Help.

I registered just to answer your question. I found your post while looking to answer my own issue - the same one you are experiencing. It took 2 minutes to fix and technet was actually able to help me. So anyhow, here ya go:

CAUSE

If you use special characters such as double quotation marks, extended characters, or you have an empty string (null value) in the company name, the converted ASCII equivalent may cause an invalid command line argument error 1639 in the Windows Installer.
          RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem, remove all special characters or extended characters in the company name. To do so, modify the registry entry for the RegisteredOrganization string value.
          WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
          Steps to Modify the Company Name in the Registry
          1. Click Start, and then click Run.
          2. In the Open text box, type <KBD>regedit</KBD>, and then click OK to open Registry Editor.
          3. Locate the following registry key path: <SAMP>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Window s NT\CurrentVersion</SAMP>
          4. Right-click RegisteredOrganization, and then click Modify to modify the value.

STATUS

This behavior is by design. <------ this is the punchline

The URL is: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326027

Take it easy

Comment

Working...
          X