xp freezes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xp freezes

It's odd. this just started happening recently... so i don't quite understand what the problem was. the freezing didn't start with the installation of new software or the change of old ones. it just sort of came out of the blue. Anyways... my computer will just freeze.. the mouse will just stop moving and all keyboard functions are disabled and i'll have to manually restart. It's really weird because it happens when i'm not doing much.. sometimes when i'm surfing the web, or writing text, and a couple of times right after the computers started up and i go to move the mouse for the first time. Any thoughts on what the problem could be... I have been backing up a lot of my dvd's lately.. could that be the problem.. but i have been working on that for almost a year and there haven't been any problems of this nature up till now.. thanks for the suggestions

p.s. amd anthalon xp 1800, 1gb ram... i did have a power failure a few months ago that killed my a drive and partially damaged my audigy sound card.

I have the same problem. I've been trying to figure it out for months. I've done everything...reformatted, uninstalled various programs at various times, it still does it. :cry:

Comment

Try memtest86:
      MemTest86 is the original self booting memory testing software for x86 and ARM computers. Supporting both BIOS and UEFI, with options to boot from USB.

Comment

thanks for the link, i tried that program and it came back with 0 errors on the tests.

Comment

I suppose it's possible its a virus. If you don't have fully updated virus protection, download the free version of AVG from www.Grisoft.com. However, that may be to little, too late. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and post everything under the processes tab. Go to start, run, msconfig and post all of the programs under the startup tab. I'd just have you take a screenshot, but I'm pretty sure pictures aren't working at TweakTown forums ATM.

Comment

sorry bout the delay.... you can check the screenshots you asked for at this link members.rogers.ca/j-obara

Comment

No I can't.... It doesn't seem to work.
              Just list them. It shouldn't be that many, but you can ignore the following under Task Manager:
              System Idle Process
              System
              svhost.exe
              vsmon.exe
              taskmgr.exe
              explorer.exe
              smss.exe
              lsass.exe
              services.exe
              winlogon.exe
              crss.exe

If you get really lazy, go to http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/ and download Hijack This. Post the log file (read the stuff on the site for help on posting the log file).

Comment

Re: xp freezes

I become a member just to help you.
                Your cpu dying.
                Yea i know i burned 2 amd cpu.

Comment

Re: xp freezes

I have seen the same issue before on my mates PC, turned out to be the driver for the CPU, if you goto windows update and check the updated drivers section, see if it lists the AMD CPU update. If its listed, install it :)

Gary

Comment

Working...
                  X