Summer System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer System

So I've done a little research and it looks like lots of great new stuff (that would not potentially need to be upgraded for a while) is supposedly coming out this summer.

I'm thinking of buying a new system (mostly for gaming) and was wondering if you had any insight on a few parts..

Processor - AMD64, not sure which one, 3200+ and 3400+ are already out (and prices might lower), but I read the 3700+ and more might be coming out this summer, as well as the new socket 939. Time and prices will tell which one I will choose, but the AMD64 seems to be a solid bet for now...

OS - Windows XP 64-bit should/might come out in the summer...whether or not its worth it to get? Depends on drivers and all of that?

PCI-Express Motherboard - Would prefer to get a PCI-Express motherboard so that I wouldn't need to upgrade in the near future. Are these supposed to be available in good quantities over the summer?

Videocard- would like to get a native PCI-Express card, whether its nvidia or ati will depend on comparisons between the two once ati releases its new card...

Biggest concern is about the PCI-Motherboards, want to have it, but would rather not wait until the fall :) Thanks a lot

What's your budget?

Hopefully, PCI express will be out sometime this summer. Maybe more new stuff will be out.

With OS, if you own XP as it is, dual-boot that with the 64-bit demo that's available for download from MS. Otherwise, I guess you might as well buy 64 bit if it's out. Or (I can't believe I'm about to say this, I'm such a hyppocrite), you could pirate 32-bit and use the demo for 64-bit.

It all depends on your budget....

Comment

whats the dif gonna be with 64bit winxp

Comment

It takes better advantage of the processor, but running programs made for 32-bit operating systems may cause problems. On top of that, there are already known driver issues. I'd say within a year it should be acceptable for use (and probably on the market by then). Right now, you probably won't notice performance increase in most games.

Comment

Price range would probably be about $800 to $1500 max, would like it to be below $1200 if possible though.

I do have access to Windows 2000, but I haven't really tried games with it yet...maybe I'll try a dual boot with 2000 and 64 Bit XP in case the 64 Bit XP isn't running everything right...I don't have a copy of Windows XP right now.

Comment

Dual-booting 2000 with XP64 is a great idea. Windows 2000 is a pretty good mix of speed and stability, I would say.

Would I be correct to say you're into gaming. (okay, I shouldn't even ask...)?

You're in the U.S., right?
            Assuming so.... (click them, they're links)
            Athlon 64 3200
            Gigabyte 9800 XT with Half-Life 2 OR 9800 Pro (if you need to go cheaper)
            36.7 GB WD Raptor 10000RPM 8MB cache
            Dual Channel Muskin 1GB PC3500 Cas 2 OR Dual Channel 512MB PC3500 Cas 2 (to save money, if necessary)
            ZALMAN CNPS7000A-Cu Pure Copper CPU Cooler
            On top of that, get a motherboard with onboard SATA, gigabit ethernet, PCI-Express, and an NForce 3 250 chipset. $100 to $200 U.S. for that.
            Total: A bit over $1300 after picking out a case and PSU
            If you go down to 512MB RAM, should be under $1200
            If you go down to the OEM 9800 Pro, should be under $1100
            Of course, if you actually get a PCI-Express card initialy, which would make sense, it will be a bit more. A cheap case that comes with lots of cooling is something you should look for to help make up for that. Nothing else should really be brought down anymore.

Comment

I'd get two Raptors if I were you and RAID them, than get a 120gb drive or something on the IDE channel for extra storage (such as music and such)

Comment

Thanks for the replies :)

Yup I am in the US and would be making the system mostly for gaming. I'll probably try to wait for the release of PCI-Express motherboards and video cards if I can. Hopefully they will be around before the summer gets too late...

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
                  I'd get two Raptors if I were you and RAID them, than get a 120gb drive or something on the IDE channel for extra storage (such as music and such)
                  That's a really good idea, actually. That would be insane.... Definetely worth the extra $100 or so.
                  Yeah, just use the Raptors for your OS and games, while using some big IDE drive (unless you get two SATA channels or something...) for storage. I can imagine the system and the setup right now....
                  Hmmmm...... :lips:

Comment

I just found an article (though its a little old at nearly two months) about the Raptors at Anandtech.com, which didn't give it a very good review.

Any reactions?

Comment

The benchmarks they perform aren't really a great way to determine what's best for gamers.

But if you really want to be certain, the 74 GB Raptor has had much better results. The 36.7 GB version's problem is that it's so small. It's hard to explain (and I might not do it accurately), but bigger drives are actually faster than smaller drives of the same RPM and cache. But the 74GB Raptor is something to consider as an alternative to dual 36.7GB Raptors in RAID.
                      Here's a more positive review of the 74GB drive:
                      WD 74GB Raptor review
                      As for the drive:
                      10000RPM 8MB cache Western Digital 74GB SATA drive

Comment

Originally posted by ath50
                        So I've done a little research and it looks like lots of great new stuff (that would not potentially need to be upgraded for a while) is supposedly coming out this summer.

I'm thinking of buying a new system (mostly for gaming) and was wondering if you had any insight on a few parts..

Processor - AMD64, not sure which one, 3200+ and 3400+ are already out (and prices might lower), but I read the 3700+ and more might be coming out this summer, as well as the new socket 939. Time and prices will tell which one I will choose, but the AMD64 seems to be a solid bet for now...
                        The 3700+ is spose to be the highest available CPU for socket 754 mainboards before they shift to 32-bit low end CPU's so wait for the socket 939 mainboards which should be around in June.

OS - Windows XP 64-bit should/might come out in the summer...whether or not its worth it to get? Depends on drivers and all of that?
                        Once XP64 is out drivers for it will mature very quickly

PCI-Express Motherboard - Would prefer to get a PCI-Express motherboard so that I wouldn't need to upgrade in the near future. Are these supposed to be available in good quantities over the summer?
                        No one can really say about the time line on these but many bet that they won't be prevalent until later in the year or early next.

Videocard- would like to get a native PCI-Express card, whether its nvidia or ati will depend on comparisons between the two once ati releases its new card...
                        See above.

Biggest concern is about the PCI-Motherboards, want to have it, but would rather not wait until the fall :) Thanks a lot
                        The nForce3 250 which has just been released would be the best one to get.

Another thing to consider is that Windows 2K will not be able to support a few new functions that the Athlon64 will have to offer but XP will.

Comment

Thanks for the added insight wayout

Actually I just checked the anandtech.com review area again and found another review they made a week later with updated firmware and such and the results were much better.

But the fact that its loud doesn't appeal to me too much.

Comment

Yeah, I did forget to mention the bit about the socket 939. Definetely a better investment if you're willing to wait.

The TweakTown review says the 74GB is quiet, so get that if you really hate noise (not that the 36.7GB is guaranteed to be unbearably loud).

Comment

Working...
                            X