• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• \windows\system32\config\system error on winxp

Okay guys,

I am looking to see if anyone has found the cause of this error:

The following file is missing or corrupted:
    \windows\system32\config\system

I have a fix for it to basically pull the system file out of the repair directory but its only a temp fix a few weeks later it appears again.

From what I have been able to diagnose it basically memory dumps into this file which looks like a registery file. I have heard that it is bad ram chips and other things. I have ran ram stress test and 1 in 10 systems I will find a bad ram chip replace it and have the same problem appear again.

Anyone have any ideas and or thoughts?

I have just installed Xp and get a similar message..only about my CD roms they have basically disapered and when i go to find them it says file corrupt or missing..and it is a win 32 system same as yours

Comment

Soul on that one update your bios.

I should have metioned that I don't even get into windows this is a strict text message

Comment

your hd could be faulty

I'd backup all your software/data and do a clean install

then when it asks which partition just delete it and then format it.

that should fix any problems with your HD (software based) and find most hardware based problems.
        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

I agree with Kheldar....don't muck around with "fixes" if it keeps happening cause obviously its something else thats the problem....a CLEAN install should fix it.

A lot of people are worried about having to re-install their O/S's etc.....Microsoft themselves admit that it is prudent to clean up the system thru a reinstall every so often...especially if you've been mucking around with beta software and/or had lots of programs installed and uninstalled.....the registry bloats to almost unworkable proportions with many stray entries that can cause probs.....

Comment

This usually happens because a flush of the registry hives (from memory to the hive files on disk) is about the last thing that happens at shudown before power off. Some drives do not properly implement their onboard cache and XP goes on and powers off the machine (and the hard drives of course) before the last few changed things have made it out of the hard drive's onboard cache and onto the media.

If this is what's happening, a simple workaround is to not do shutdown-and-power-off.

Comment

Re: \windows\system32\config\system error on winxp

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 running XP sp2. I received this msg during a reboot as well. I backed up my data, formatted, deleted partion and reinstalled windows. I scanned all of my files with NAV before returning to the Dimension hdd. After a few days I received this message again. I followed the same steps as above and after about a month the issue returned.

The Dimension came with 256mb Ram. I bought an aftermarket stick to increase to 512 shortly after I purchased the machine. Before I buy a Dell DIMM has anyone else had this issue before and if so did replacing the RAM or anything else resolve it?

Comment

I get this message about every month and I am forced to reinstall windows. It happens on an SATA drive. I keep a dual boot XP on an IDE drive in the same computer for my down time with the always messing up drive.

BTW, I hate having to use SATA drives. It really doesn't seem any faster and it is much more effort.

I have wondered whether using system mechanic may contribute to this continuing problem.

Comment

well, I don't use system mechanic & I don't have this occuring regularly to my machine - so I'd try it without and see what happens
                  http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Working...
                  X