Memory/audio probs on A7V333 m/b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory/audio probs on A7V333 m/b

I thought I would share with you a problem I recently had with my Asus A7V333 m/b.

I have said m/b rev 1.01 bios 1015, xp2400, 512Mb PC3200 Samsung ram, RAD9800pro, running perfectly, but a little slow in FarCry!

I added another stick of 512Mb PC3200 Samsung ram to speed things up and for a short while everything ran great, including FarCry on v.high settings.

After the short while I started getting problems with the onboard sound, it would cut out, both in various games & media player, all I got was a pulsing noise or nothing at all!

The only way to get the audio back was to reboot.

If I ran either ram stick on its own the audio was fine, as soon as I put them in together............audio problem.

I have eventually found a fix, I have set the ram clock ratio in the bios from 'auto' to 4:5. Ram is running at 166Mhz and everything is fine!!!

With more people getting 1Gb of ram I wondered if anyone else has come across the problem, or knows why ram timings should affect audio? :?

Thanks for your interest and thoughts.

8) 8) 8)

I don't know if it's a hardware problem at all...
    It could be something you have done with Windows... A virus, spyware, too many running programs, bad drivers or installation therof...

However, that Athlon XP 2400 is somewhat dated for a game like Far Cry. I don't own it myself, but my understanding is that it is very hard on a system, so I wouldn't be suprised if that processor just can't handle FarCry without problems.

Comment

What version of Windows are you using?

Comment

Damnit, how come I always forgot about that?

If you are using Windows 98SE, you need to download the unofficial Windows 98 service pack 1.5.

If you are using Windows ME, you're SOL until the same patch for ME comes out.

Comment

Re: Memory/audio probs on A7V333 m/b

Saw this old thread and i have the deffinate answer on it since i owned the same board. Believe it or not it is an error with the JP jumper settings on the board that cause this. I had the same problem with mine and with 3 dimms would also have games crash on me alot. What you need to do is remove your JP jumpers. At it's default setting it is pumping out way to much juice. I know it sounds odd and since i am at work i can't pull up the spec/pics with this info atm. Lots of ppl have had this problem with this board.

It took me a good 2 weeks to find out what was up with the board. I ended up finding the info on a spanish website that had the picture and voltage settings in english. Anyway trust me take off the JP jumpers and it will run like a dream. =]

Comment

Working...
          X