n-Propyl Acohol Safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n-Propyl Acohol Safe?

I recently cleaned some thermal paste of off my northbridge in order to add a new cooler. I was disapointed that I could not remove all of the old paste so I wondered if I could get an alcohol of a higher percentage than the 70% Isopropyl alcohol that I was using. Today I asked my chemistry teacher if he knew where I could get a higher concentration alcohol and he said that I would probably have to ask a pharmacist. I said I didn't really want to and after explaining that I needed it for computer stuff he said he might have something for me. And viola he hands me n-Propyl alcohol that he says is 98-99% alcohol.
    Anyhoo I was wondering if anyone knew if this alcohol would be usable and safe for my components. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

>Zack

it should be safe to use it. try not to get it all over the PCB though, just in case.

Comment

high concentration is perfectly fine. It will evaporate the same was as lower concentration and leave no residue. You probably will get a better clean too.

Easiest way to remove those pastes I've found is apply a thin layer of Isopropyl, and let it sit on the paste for like 2 - 3 mins, then use a qtip and wipe it off. Usually will come off very cleanly in a big pile.

Then use a qtip to clean once more and it should be sparkling clean.

:D

Comment

I use a product called "Goo Gone", which removes the stuff instantly, then a pass with alcohol.

Comment

yeah goo gone rules.

Or orange off.

Comment

Working...
          X