Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9800pro to 9800xt flashing trauma (NOOB Alert!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9800pro to 9800xt flashing trauma (NOOB Alert!!)

ok...the story goes like this: i've flashed my asus radeon 9800pro 256mb to make it a 9800xt but after booting in windows i get random lockups and freezes and the only way to restart is turning the power supply. after turning the comp back on i get this weird image of the desktop with white liones all over and is frozen...what ca it be?/ i've flashed it with the bios from the asus web(ntsc) and sometimes work,sometimes dont

here's a link to the image(to make myself more clear)

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

thanx for taking the time to read this

athlon 64 +3200
    gigabyte ga-k8nnxp mobo
    1gb geil ddr400
    sound blaster audigy2 zs[/url]

reflash the card to the original bios.
    it looks like youve overclocked way too far. if you dont return it to lower speeds then you will kill the card

Comment

i didn't overclocked it, i've just flash it with the xt bios...the core is the same so is the memory...now the problem is, the original bios in the backup diskette is missing...i wanted to reflash it back to an 9800pro but i think i screw up...is there a way to find the original bios? i've tried asus web but they don't have it

the card is the asus a9800pro 256mb nysc core r360 memory hynix 2.5

thanx for reply

Comment

when you flashed it the voltage to the core will have been changed because the XT has a higher core voltage than the Pro.
        the only way i know of to get the original bios back would be to go to where you got the XT bios or to ask someone else who owns the card to get you their bios

Comment

this sux....i hope someone here has the same card....and can help me with the bios....is there a way to change the voltage to match it with a xt?? ...............................that's what's happen to me 4 being a NooB :(

Comment

Having just sorted through as much info on 9800 pro to xt as possible in the last week, I think I have what you are looking for. Check out this link ( same site where the sofmodd'd Catalyst package is located ) This is the best bios list I've found so far:

And on this topic... Have you seen this guide? http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx...var1=92&var2=0

I was succesful flashing a 9800 pro with the r360 core and 128 mb using that guide. I'm gonna run ATITool when I crash tonight to see what it can crank up to.

You have swapped the cooler on your card for something with more *umph*, right? A must when performing this mod. Heat kills you know. See ya.

Comment

thank you very much..now i've flashed it again.. it works now,the only thing i've notices is that when im in the desktop the mouse kinda freezes for 2 seconds with the screen...it happens often do you know what could it be?

Comment

I think you said that you successfully booted into windows after flashing with the XT bios. If that is the case, your drivers might be jacked up. Have you uninstalled all ATI components and reinstalled? That is the only thing I can think of when it comes to the mouse stuttering.

Comment

no ive actually flashed back to the 9800pro..now it freezes for 2 seconds...often and it makes a little beep sound...ive installed the asus doctor and it says the card is ok not hot .this are the readings of the smartdoctor:

core : 357mhz
                  memory: 674mhz

Vcc: 2.87
                  Vcore: 1.72
                  AGP Vddq:1.52
                  FB Vddq: 2.67

GPU:122F
                  RAM:113F

FAN Speed: 5084

i'm new to this so i dont understand much...can u tell me what could be wrong and what can i do about it? i've just ordered the artic silencer cooler from the net,y should get it soon

thanx very much,waiting for your reply

Comment

But when you did try flashing with the xt bios, did you get into windows?

If this is the only thing you did between the time the mouse was fine till now, it seems that should be the issue.

Other idea - Bring up task manager and sort by CPU time. leave it open and move the mouse around. When the mouse freezes can you see anything jump to the top of the list?

Other idea - Open device manager and remove your mouse. Reboot. Just for kicks.

Other idea - Install the Omega drivers. http://www.omegacorner.com/index_ati.html
                    This install does a great job of making sure all driver files match on install. There is also a driver clean utility that really removes all old drivers. Reboot and reinstall ATI Catalyst package.

Comment

Oh, and the Arctic Silencer is a good pick. That is what I have on my 9800 pro that has been flashed to XT. Becareful when installing that the bracket on the back of the card sits on the board and not any of the circuitry. Don't ask why I know that. :(

Comment

flashed to xt is when i got the freezing and the weird screen after rebooy(picture in the first port) i will try flashing back again and see wwhat happens...did u chack the temps i gave you? is everything ok?? 112F looks hot to me
                        thanx

Comment

Yeah, your temps are in range. GPU's run HOT! Which is why cooling is so critical, and when you flash with that XT bios, it becomes even more of an issue cuz you are essentially applying an overclock. Which is the other benefit besides better shading performance. When I was moving cards around I had VERY slow mouse performance after installing 9800 pro. I had to install omega drivers, driver clean, install ATI Catalyst to fix it.

Comment

thanx i will try it tonight and tell you thnax for taking the time to reply you've been very helpful the NOOB is happy now

Comment

Working...
                            X