Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connecting a desk top and laptop to a wireless network.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting a desk top and laptop to a wireless network.

Sorry guys if this has already been answered, but to be honest even if I stared at the answer I probably wouldn't know it.

Basically my Girlfriend is using 56k dialup but wants to share my broadband connection, she has been advised to get a 802.11g Router/ADSL modem and wireless notebook card. I currently have a standard USB ADSL modem. Now if she connects the router and starts using my line with wireless, how do I connect my desktop to the same router with what I have. I also have a 10/100 ethernet pci card, but have never used it, I simply stick with the standard ADSL modem.

Many Thanks

If your modem supports both USB and Ethernet connections, go for the Ethernet choice. Using a NIC will give you better transfer rates and be more effective overall.

As for the wireless deal, you would have to have a wireless router and a pair of wireless ethernet cards (one PCI for your machine and one PCMIA for the laptop). From there you can simply set up your home network or just set it up for an Internet sharing via the wireless router. This should be all it takes but I'm not a big fan of wireless so others will correct me if I made an error.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Great thanks, from what I've been told the laptop can be connected via the card and go "Full" wireless and I can connect my desktop via the traditional lead, but that info came from just the guy on the phone from BT and call me cynical I just don't trust them that much, hence why I'm asking you guys.

So if I thats wrong from what he told me, I would need to get a PCI wireless card as well as the ethernet card and go full wireless or do I connect as he says via leads leaving only the laptop wireless?

Sorry for my lack of comprehension, I'm just a little confused on this one.

Again many thanks

Comment

Working...
      X