Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon 1700XP Running Temps. Please Help

Hi

Just a quick question. Am I in danger of damaging my processor. It is an Athlon 1700XP. The running temps are 55c @ idle and under full load it gets to MAX 63c

It won't kill your processor but I'd be reckon you'd be aimming for temps a bit lower than that.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I have the XP 1600+ and my case is aufuly cramped (getting new one tomorow) and i was getting temps of around 55c give or thake 5c, that was with a huge ass heatsink and fan and it was some what unstable.
      So i mounted my power supply externally and put in 2 intake fans, one pointing stragiht at the heatsink from the side and now i get 44c.

Comment

You'd really want to be somewhere around the 40deg mark whilst idle, I'd suspect your cooling is inadequate. Thermaltake Volcano 7 runs AthlonXP's at that sort of temp, you should be able to pick one up for about $50

Comment

I have run a volcano 6cu+ on a 1700+ and had temps around 34c @ idle. they cost about $15us. Though it is noisy. The fan runs at 7000 rpm and you know its working thats for sure

Comment

Originally posted by TisMeDT
            Though it is noisy. The fan runs at 7000 rpm and you know its working thats for sure
            I have the noise-problem too and I can't stand it any longer...
            does anyone know a reliable fan for a 1700XP which is
            known to be quite silently ... I use the machine as desktop
            machine and that noise isn't tolerably anymore

thanx

Comment

I Have a 1900+ sitting at 46 idle 55 under load

Cooling
              SK6 with 4000rpm 60mm fan,
              80mm case fan running at 2000rpm
              and a slot extractor fan don't know the speed but it's very quiet.

512mb Crucial DDR 266
              Creative labs TI4600

all running very stable

The only problem I get is with dust buildup in the heatsink and it can be fixed with a quick blast of air duster.

The Athlons max temperature is 90 degrees according to the Spec.

Comment

90 degrees is the max temp for athlon cpu b4 they start to fry:cry:

an athlonxp will usually run about 60 degress or just over b4 it bcomes unstable:afro:

Comment

btw comparing cpu temps isn't such a fine art as reading can vary a fair bit from mobo to mobo:afro: but usually they will be within say 5 degrees of each other...asus boards are renowned for reading higher than usual....heck i get mid 40 loads and i have a mcx462....which is still the best air cooler around..altohguh monstrously expensive:cheers:

Comment

What's with the double posts man ?

Are you trying to rack up posts the cheap way or something :confused: :confused:

Comment

Seems that way don't it or no one's told him about the EDIT facility but we could delete 2nd posts made within 5 mins of the previous though. :D
                      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Under all circumstances, try to remain under 60 degrees with an Athlon - any higher and you risk data corruption, and you will definately shorten the lifespan of your CPU.

The ThermalTake Volcano 6Cu (not the "+" version) has a quiet fan that spins at around 4200~4500RPM, and is available for as little as A$20. This should keep your load temperatures below 50 degrees (unless you live in the Sahara Desert) :D
                        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

lol nah...i wouldn't mind a nice high postrate though....:afro:
                          i guess if i tihnk of something else at the same time i just add it in...:cheers:

Comment

That's where the EDIT button comes in handy. ;)
                            But then I do have this other EDIT button here. :D

Comment

Working...
                            X