installing windows xp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing windows xp

Could I install a copy of windows xp I got with my Dell computer in a non-dell computer, specifically custom built? I browsed through the files on the disk, and even though it says dell backup copy, there are no files with the dell name on the disk? If any could inform me, I would be greatful, thanks.

Hope this helps !! :)

Microsoft licensing for OEM versions is non-transferrable and must remain with the hardware it was purchased with. This is Microsoft's requirement, not Dell's.

If you want full transferrability of an OS, then pay the extra and get a full version and not an OEM version

Dell dose this by using a co branded license and Key code, if you want the cheap way out (and legal) purchase a new license and key code from Microsoft

It seems that the Dell Cd's do a BIOS check with the computer
    that you are trying to install it on. It doesn't look for hardware
    configuration it looks for a signature from what they say and
    it will not install on another non-dell PC.

The others have said it is illegal and when you try to activate
    the OS it will probably shoot back an invalid Product Key error.

It would have to be a system rigourously configured to that of the exact system the disc is copyrighted for I.E. all same dell parts. you see you have the motherboard oem tyrp and revision, hard disk, cpu type and revision, mem, soundcard and so on. in any case you are just as well to save yourself an impossible task and buy the full retail version. in any case it is illegal!!!
    Last edited by jamie_horwood; 07-05-2004, 05:49 PM.

Comment

im surprised you even got an xp disc with your dell. most oems just provide a recovery disc which will only work on the original hardware

Comment

Yes, its just usually a GHOST disc with the basic image, and thats if ure lucky now. you usually have to pay deep into ure pocket to include discs as an optional extra. I personally hate OEMS. for one advantage i give. good for consumers who generally want a pre built computer. They are usually poorly configured though, and often the not as well known manufacturers have been known to put cheap parts in em. most of teh time the drivers are the incorrect drivers for your computer and they too are hard to purchase. talking to your techie support is like talking to a brick wall. But the best way is to build your own creation, that way is certainly more exhilirating, more fun, and you gain better experience. the most important thing is

with your own computer you know where you stand
        you know your breed inside out
        you can build any spec you like
        possibilties are far more exciting
        take credit for your pride an joy

THUMBS UP TO DO IT YOURSELF
        Last edited by jamie_horwood; 07-05-2004, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X