Freeware List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeware List

I'm compiling a list of my favorite Windows freewares here, and I'm open to suggestions for addition as well.

Anti-Virus, Spyware Removal etc
    Ad-Aware 6 - Scans running tasks, cookies, registry and all files for spyware.
    AVG Anti-Virus - Scans all files and folders for viruses, freeware equivilent to NortonAV in terms of ease of use and reliability.
    HijackThis - Tool for advanced users that helps prevent/remove browser hijacks.
    Spybot S&D - Scans all aspects of your PC for spyware.
    Zone-Alarm - A user friendly personal firewall with much more configurability than Windows XP's built in firewall.

Benchmarking and System Utilities
    3DMark2001SE Build 330 - A Graphics card benchmark that depends somewhat on the entire system.
    3DMark03 Build 340 - Graphics card benchmark that depends fully on the graphics card.
    Belarc Advisor - Compiles a detailed report on all your hardware.
    MemTest86+ - Tests your RAM thoroughly for errors, boots from floppy or CD.
    Motherboard MonitorAlthough just recently discontinued, still a great monitor for temperatures and fan speeds as well for systems right now.
    PCMark2002 - PCMark2002 is a system benchmark that tests your CPU, Memory, and Hard Drive and breaks it down into individual scores.
    PCMark04 - System benchmark that tests your CPU, Memory, and Hard Drive and combines it all into one overall system score.
    SiSoftware Sandra - Allows you to view many specifications on your system as well as benchmark it and compare it.

General Use
    Acrobat Reader - Allows you to view PDF files.
    CPU-Z - Provides in depth information about your CPU and system.
    Open-Office - A free alternative to Microsoft Office, compatible with most Office formats.
    Reg-Cleaner - Cleans your registry to improve system performance.

Internet App's, Peer to Peer, E-mail
    Apache - Great webserver software that is widely used.
    Firefox - Firefox is an excellent web browser and is better than Internet Explorer in more ways than not.
    GAIM - IM client that serves AIM, ICQ, MSN and Yahoo.
    mIRC - IRC client that allows you to connect to the ever popular IRC network.
    Shareaza - Peer to Peer program that connects to the Gnutella and eDonkey networks.
    Thunderbird - Mozilla based email client.
    Trillian - IM client that serves AIM, ICQ, IRC, MSN, and Yahoo that is generally updated often.

List partly compiled from the Freewares list over at Beefy's World
    Last edited by amd_man2005; 08-15-2004, 10:21 AM.

This is a handy we based program that you could add to your internet apps category

The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser. All of your PC profile information is kept private on your PC and is not sent to any web server.
    link below:

Belarc's products automatically create an accurate and up-to-date central repository (CMDB), consisting of detailed software, hardware, network and security configurations. Customers use our products for software license management, IT asset management, cybersecurity audits, information assurance, and more.
    Last edited by jamie_horwood; 07-08-2004, 05:26 PM.

Comment

To mention a couple that I believe are already at Beefy's World:
      K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (Real, DivX and QuickTime alternatives included)
      GIMP (GNU Image Manipulator, almost as good as photoshop but it doesn't cost anything)
      Another one that I have always enjoyed:
      NTFS for Windows 98. It allows for full read and write access to NTFS partitions under Windows 95-ME. All you need is the program and access to NTFS driver files (which can be found in NT, 2000, XP, and Server 2003 installations). I never make an install of 98SE anymore without using this (and a third-party formatting tool) to make and use an NTFS partition for files and such. It's a must-have for dual-booters.

Comment

Working...
      X