Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A7N8X Onboard Sound

Hey.

I've just put a box together - A7N8X mobo, AMD 2600, WD HD etc. Its all runnin fine. Sept, I have no sound out of the onbaord sound device.

I've hooked up speakers (Which I know work) yet nothin. I've installed the Soundstorm Drivers, the Nforce package, the ASUS default mobo drivers, checked the device manager, even the BIOS I know is fine.

Yet, still nothin. Any ideas?

btw - I did have a few IRQ problems to start....

Re: A7N8X Onboard Sound

Well, make sure the volume is up and that the speaker jacks aren't muted. I know it's silly, but sometimes, that's the stuff that gets you.
    2nd, I don't know how it is on the A7N8X, but with the A7N8X-E Deluxe (basically an updated version), the manual wasn't quite correct on how the speakers were setup, so I had to play around with the jacks a little to get them to work.

Comment

What do u mean the speakers jacks aren't muted? The only way I know of muting is through the volume control, the Soundstorm control, and the BIOS. Is that what u mean?

Comment

Yeah, and make sure the "Wave" volume is turned up.

Comment

The board has a jumper on it which can divert sound to the front audio panel connectors. Check your motherboard manual for jumper information, and make sure you've got it set to output to rear jumpers.

Comment

Yeah - I thought it was something like that. I must have missed it in the manual.

But, the box had to be complete by Wednesday - So I just bought an Audigy card and installed that, then disabled the Onboard sound. The Audigy is better quality anyway, and was only $70.

Thx anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Cataclysm
              I've just put a box together - A7N8X mobo, AMD 2600, WD HD etc. Its all runnin fine. Sept, I have no sound out of the onbaord sound device.

I've hooked up speakers (Which I know work) yet nothin. I've installed the Soundstorm Drivers, the Nforce package, the ASUS default mobo drivers, checked the device manager, even the BIOS I know is fine.

Yet, still nothin. Any ideas?
              I'm having the same problem with my A7N8X - I've checked all over everywhere I can think of - all I've found out is that Soundstorm actually isn't for the A7N8X, it was only for the Deluxe model - the A7N8X uses the RealTek ALC650 drivers. But even after installing those, I get nothing. I've fiddled around a bit with the jumper settings for the front audio panel (with no success), but the manual I have says nothing about what the default jumper settings are, or which are for the front or rear - if anyone could help me on that, I'd appreciate it so much! I bought the motherboard off of someone, and they changed some of the default settings, and don't remember what was where. I'm pretty sure that my final problem is just getting those jumper settings correct - otherwise I'm going out and buying a soundcard.

Here's a diagram of what the jumpers look like on my board - I'm just not sure what the descriptions for each pin mean.

. . . _ .
              . . . . .

Going from the top left and across: AGND, +5VA, BLINE_OUT_R, (empty - pictured above with a _),BLINE_OUT_L
              Going from the bottom left and across: MIC2, MICPWR, Line out_R, NC, Line out_L

I'm assuming that what I'm looking for is something to either do with the BLINE_OUT_R and L, or the Line out_R and L, but I just don't want to blow up my MOBO trying a bunch of different combinations. :)
              Last edited by Beth; 07-29-2004, 01:07 AM.

Comment

From memory, get two jumpers.. put them between the BLINE_OUT_X / LINE_OUT_X pins (where X is L or R). That will divert the sound to the back audio connector.

EDIT: so it looks like this:

::|:|
                Last edited by Mutineer; 07-29-2004, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Wow. Thanks. I lost audio after reinstalling the Win XP and the newest nforce drivers. Adding the jumpers worked great. It's a mystery to me why it ever worked before...

Comment

Thanks a lot!

I have the A7N8X Deluxe, built my system a few years back with no problems, upgraded mobo & cpu a few months back and today used my old bits for another system and this time got no sound.

I stuck the jumpers across the pins as described and it works perfectly.

All I have to add is that the pins are located near to the PCI slots.

Comment

Working...
                    X