buying a brand new comp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a brand new comp

i got a budget of 1400$CAN or 1200$U.S to buy a comp ( without mouse , keyboard and soundcard)

what should i buy with my money?

Re: buying a brand new comp

Do you mean buying or building? You should really consider building your own if your plan was to buy. It's fairly easy, it will cost less, and the computer will perform better in the long run.

Do you have $1400 Canadian or $1200 U.S.? They are quite a ways from each other in worth as $1400 Canadian is worth under $1100 U.S. Also, are you restricted to buying hardware in Canada, in the U.S., or can you get hardware from either (as in get it shipped from sites that only ship to their own country)?

Also, what are you going to use this for? Gaming? Video encoding? Or just web browsing, word processing, e-mail, etc.?

Comment

i got 1400$ canadian, i will probally build a new comp for games and i will buy pieces I need in canada.

Comment

Hmm... The thing is, that leaves you just out of the price range for a socket 939 setup. If you went with that, you'd want an Athlon 64 3500, dual 256MB stick of PC3200 RAM (lots of good companies... just look for low timings), a Radeon 9800 Pro, the cheapest case you can find that isn't crappy, a 400W or so PSU (Thermaltake seems to price qite well), an ABIT AV8, and an 80GB Maxtor or Western Digital SATA HDD. But that will probably be a bit overbudget. Try as hard as you can to get a socket 939 moretherboard and processor, but you can switch to socket 754 and a cheaper processor (maybe a 3200 or 3400).

But anything higher than a 3200 would probably be too expensive if you actually need a monitor, speakers, and optical drives (CD-ROM, DVD, etc.).

Comment

Working...
        X