Upgrading dell options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading dell options

I've been thinking about upgrading my comp. lately and would appreciate some advice on what I could/should do to get a little more power. I'm thinking of starting with a new motherboard, processor and case. Not sure yet on what I'm willing to spend, some ideas on where to start would help.

This is what I'm working with now.

Dell 4550
    2.0 845 pe
    2x512 pc2700 ram
    9600 pro video card
    60 gig wd hd
    40 gig wd hd

I work with art programs like photoshop and illustrater and the extra oomph would really help me out. Thanks in advance.

Re: Upgrading dell options

looks fine to me unless you really need to do some gaming. maybe some faster ram, atleast pc3200. but ya, like i said i don't see a problem if you aren't a big gamer or video editor kinda guy.
    amd 4200 x2
    2gb ocz gold pc4000
    dfi utlpl nf4 sli-d
    antec sp500
    bfg7800gtx
    zalman cpu cooler

Comment

If the motherbaord supports PC3200 RAM, you could start with that. Otherwise, you might as well go with a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM, which is going to be about $400 for a good upgrade (selling your current RAM would help there).

Comment

I fail to see the point of putting PC3200 memory in a PC that already can't make use of the current memory it has.
        Remember that this is a 400MHz FSB 2.0GHz Dell with an i845pe Intel mainboard.

Chi'mera you can upgrade that CPU that you have to one of 533MHz FSB Northwood CPU's (your mainboard will support support them) and if you can get a 3.06GHz version you will also be able to make use of Hyperthreading plus get a very good performance boost which still won't stress your current memory so getting faster memory would still be pointless.
        Last edited by wayout44; 08-24-2004, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Good point about the memory. I've got the same problem myself, actually...
          But remember, this is the U.S. You can get a good socket 754 motherboard and Athlon (about $200 to $220) 64 for less than a 3.06 P4 (about $235). The option is basically a 2.8A/2.8B or an A64 2800 + motherboard.

Comment

Also remember that changing over to an A64 will also require the PSU to be changed as well and those Dell cases have useless airflow so a new case would be well advised at the same time so that drives your costs upwards again.

Comment

That's true. You would need a new PSU. I'd still say a 2.8GHz is a good upgrade, but there' nothing wrong with 3.06GHz if an all-out motherboard/RAM/CPU replacement is out of the question.

Comment

Thanks for the reply's. I thiink I'm going to be going with a64 3200.

Comment

Working...
                X