Newbie question about the heatsink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question about the heatsink

Now.. I have a volcano 9 laying around somewhere. But ever sense i fryed my kt333 and 2100 amd i got a factory fan with my new processor that is oh so much more quieter. Now i'm having a thirst for more power. Should i put my volcano 9 back on and up the mhz? And here is my question.. the little paper was never clear where to put the heatsink.. i always put it above the processor and under the fan. Does it go under the processor? And if i put it under will it be running at full speed? Because the vol9 makes way too much noise for me to deal with when it isrunning at med speed+

thanks in advance

Re: Newbie question about the heatsink

I must have missed something here. There is only one way to install a heatsink.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Yah, duh, and if you don't know than you've got no business tinkering around inside a PC with the heatsink.

Comment

the wire that comes out of the fan to determen how hot the processor is? I was just asking if it goes above or below the processor. This it not what fryed my mother board and processor. I was just making a comment.

Comment

It goes below the core and within the socket itself, http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v9.htm
          The 2 wires are thin enough to wind between the CPU pins before you insert it in the socket.

Comment

You should have specified you meant the thermal probe. Looks like wayout44 has got you covered.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
              You should have specified you meant the thermal probe. Looks like wayout44 has got you covered.
              sorry my bad.

and wayout thanks a ton!
              Last edited by paleghost; 08-01-2004, 05:57 AM.

Comment

n/p but its a shame that you didn't get the Volcano 7+ instead of the V9 as you could've had better cooling at a lower noise level.

Comment

ah well. it was a packaged deal with my xp 2100+. When i get paid, I think i'm going to invest alot in cooling.

Comment

wow. huge sound diffrence so far when it is on the bottom. It now sounds like a normal fan. And i also don't worry about stressing it now.

Comment

Originally posted by paleghost
                      When i get paid, I think i'm going to invest alot in cooling.
                      Care to elaborate? Water? Peltier? Phase change? Where are you planning on going with this? Could be interesting.
                      My Toys

Comment

CoolDrive 4 and filling up my case with case fans.. there are a bunch of empty slots. Oh and the window fan broke (wires pulled out from taking off the door). Another one of those.

Lets just say my pc is undercooled.

Are the window fans the same size of the case fans? My case desc. is confusing me.

http://www.xpcgear.com/strykerst626b.html

it says
                        1 x 80 mm in side (Included)
                        5 x 80 mm (Optional)

I'm guessing that means there is one 80mm fan included and five 80mm fans are optional.

edit: I would LOVE a water cooling system, but considering that i'm going to be one of those broke college students in like say.. couple weeks. I'm going to stick with the basics d= When i said alot, I really didn't mean all that much. But when i do have a job and am going to college, we will see.
                        Last edited by paleghost; 08-01-2004, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Do you already have that case or are you just making plans on buying it? I ask because while it looks cool and has some decent cooling, the front intakes are pretty much worthless. There isn't enough space on the front bezel to allow for incoming cool air to work in the system. If you are just making buying plans, think of something else. If you already have it, then you might consider some mods to open up the front end for better circulation.

Regarding the fans, optional simply means that there is a mounting fixture for five extra fans but the case does not include them.

Finally, if you want a kit, there are a couple of good ones that use a full fledged water cooling system instead of some cheesey all-in-one box. I recently reviewed one of the Swiftech models and it is now my everyday cooling solution. Excellent cooling with very little noise.
                          My Toys

Comment

ah well i own it
                            here

while i'm not going to go as far as modding the front. I may invest in a newer case later in the future. I'm going to go check out your Swiftech review now.

edit: the water cooling looks fantastic. Now I want one =). I always fears water cooling. Well.. water+inside of pc = bad. But I think i could cope.
                            Last edited by paleghost; 08-01-2004, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Well it seems the fan also took a hit. I guess it got negitive voltage from the time the motherboard and processor fried. Because it doesn't run at full power.. nor does it speed up when the cpu starts to heat up. Every time i jumped on warcraft III, it would freeze and shut down. Now that I installed the small factory fan that came with the 2200+ things are back to snaz. So I guess some money is going twords a new heatsink.

Comment

Working...
                              X