Why am i getting such choppy framerate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why am i getting such choppy framerate

I recently upgraded from a Geforce4 mx440 128mb to a Sapphire Radeon 9600 256 mb and I still get the same choppy framrate as I did before, albeit I can turn up the resolution in my games but im wondering is there something im not doing right. I have a Athlon 2600+ XP, with 512 mb memory and a 120 gig hard drive running win xp. I had powerstrip and attempted to overclock my new vid card but it would crash with just a 5% gain on the core or mem. Anyone have any tips or ideas that I can do just to be able to run BF1942 and Vietnam and C&C (which is pretty much all I play) at a good fps with no choppiness??? Pls help

Re: Why am i getting such choppy framerate

What do you have your AGP Aperture set at and how much memory do you have plus are you using to higher game settings?
    Last edited by wayout44; 08-08-2004, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I dont know about the AGP Aperture setting, I dont know what that is, but I have 512 mb mem and I have all the settings at medium usually.

Comment

The AGP Aperture setting will be found in the mainboard BIOS.

Comment

Figure out your AGP Aperture like Wayout said...

Also, go to www.tweakguides.com and read through the XP tweaking guides.

Comment

what should it be set at then, and how exactly do i change it?

Comment

A lot of mainboards have it at 64MB by default but 128MB works better (the mainboard manual will tell you where it is and how to change it).

Comment

I dont have a mainboard manual, can anyone give me a step by step on how to change it??

Comment

It sounds to me like you have some deep hardware problems, possibly with your memory configuration. I upgraded from a GeForce4 Ti 4200 64MB to a Sapphire Radeon Pro 128 Atlantis and it's just lovely as far as res, quality and framerate (though I have issues with ATI's drivers and control panel, and dual monitor support).

Other than making sure you removed the old nVidia drivers with Driver Cleaner before installing the ATI drivers, the best place for you to start is here :

and go through your entire system, from the ground up.

Comment

Hi, I am Lone7. As I read from you post. The AGP Aperture size is fine, most of the modern boards will have it at 64, but setting it to 128 will help abit. However I don't think AGP Aperture size is the problem. Make sure your motherboard BIOS can recognize the new Radeon, have the latest drivers for your chipset and keep the windows updates and DirectX up-to-date. However, i think the main problem is mentioned by Dreadstar, that is make sure all the old nVidia drivers are removed properly, or else it will cause conflict with the Radeon driver. Go to Guru3d.com and download some of the tools they have there to completely remove both nVidia or Radeon driver. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X