Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble loading software on raid 1 array "(Local Disk H:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble loading software on raid 1 array "(Local Disk H:)

This is a new build, AMD 64xp 3200, ASUS 8KV se deluxe mb., 2 120gb sata hds inRAID1 running XPpro sp2. the ASUS manual said to create the array before loading the os, so i did and don't think i'll do it next time. XPpro went on ok but most of the other software fought me the whole way and i'm still cocerned that the ati aiw 9600 software is not 100%. the big problem is that i'm all loaded up and tried to download my isp software and it will not load to "(Local Disk H:)" which is the name xp gave the array.i thought about changing the name of the array but the disk manager won't allow me to and even if it did the other soft ware would be very confused!.Help i really don't want to start all over but to me it looks like i have to.

Re: Trouble loading software on raid 1 array "(Local Disk H:)

Are you using the SATA array as your bootable drive? It doesn't look like it given the H drive designator. This couls also be what is confusing your ISP software as some programs will throw a fit if you try to install them anywhere but the default C drive.

As to building the array, you either have to or use your drives as two individual ones. Building the array is what creates the RAID setup (hence the A in RAID... it stands for array).
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Yes, the ASUS VIA 6420 RAID controller sets one of the drives in the array as the the boot/ primary drive and the other as the mirror. i tried to use the Promise FastTrak 378 Driver with the 2 SATA drives but XP would not recognize the array ("no disk in drive"). i Think you need some IDE drive(s) with the SATA drives to use the 378 driver but i'm still researching that.The xp drive management utility indicated that i could set up another folder that could be a "path" to the"Local Disk H:" but i tried that and maybe did"nt do it right (over my head).??????. ps, i have ****tail glasses with your quote on them as i believe it"s true!

Comment

update, i fixed the problem. self inflicted,i tried to get cute (lazy) and added all the peripherals prior to loading XP (let it add it's drivers) and XP assigned the disk names.i bit the bullet and unplugged all the peripherals, deleted the array, and recreated the array (destroys all data) rebooted, loaded XP and the array is now (C:) and the software is loading perfectly.LESSON LEARNED and i thought i'd share the lesson.

Comment

Just a quick Q Mega.......... which SATA's are you using...... I build alot of computers here in Florida ( mostly gamer computers ) and have used the new WD Raptor 10,000 rpm types........... I LOVE that drive !!!!

Comment

The answer is in his signature.

As to the Raptors, while I agree they are very speedy, they also tend to be a bit loud and terribly expensive. I'll stick with my little 80GB SATA drives with the 8MB cache and have some extra pocket change to play with later on.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Working...
            X