Testing a PSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing a PSU

Is there anyway to tell if a PSU is working properly without a motherboard? I just bought an Antec Truepower 430W, but I don't have my motherboard yet. If I plugged it into the wall, will the fans turn on? How do I verify it works?

Re: Testing a PSU

Do not attempt to use your power suppy without having it hooked up to something. Can't remember who/where I was told that operating without a load is not a good thing for a PSU but it seems to me that I did trust the source. In addition to the possible risk there is the fact that just because the fans spin up does not really tell you anything about the proformance of the PSU. There are test light units that the main motherboard plug can be attached to to verify that all rails are functioning and I suppose one could find out how well the thing funtions by using a volt meter .... best bet is to leave the thing alone untill you have the system.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

i think that operating without a load was only a problem on the old at power supplys.
      to power it up without a motherboard locate the green wire on the atx plug and then stick a paperclip in it, then put the other end into one of the black wires and the psu should turn on

Comment

it is still prefered to have the PSU plugged into something, even if it's only a fan. To test it you need a decent muti-meter

Comment

You either need a mainboard to test it or ground the Power On wire on the mainboard plug (pin 14 to pin 13).

Comment

Working...
          X