Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

im goin to build a gaming system but i need some help what i need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im goin to build a gaming system but i need some help what i need?

Hey,

im goin to build a gaming system soon but i need to know what is the best motherboard,cpu and video card to get?

im looking at this motherboard but i dont know if its any good
    GIGABYTE "GA-8IK1100" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...128-183&depa=0

Re: im goin to build a gaming system but i need some help what i need?

I am going to beat yawg to this! a 6800, the non ultra, is a best buy. :)
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Originally posted by AsianBatman
      Yawg's going to be mad with you for getting that in 1st.

Ghetto2k4, an A64 setup would be the best to go for for a gaming rig.

Comment

Originally posted by AsianBatman
        But the GT or an X800 Pro would be better if you're not on a tight budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
          But the GT or an X800 Pro would be better if you're not on a tight budget.
          lol either way i beat you to it :) its the principle that counts!!
          CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
          Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
          RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
          GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
          PSU: Thermaltake 500w
          SC: Audigy 2 zs
          LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
          Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
          Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Originally posted by Ghetto2k4
            Hey,

im goin to build a gaming system soon but i need to know what is the best motherboard,cpu and video card to get?

im looking at this motherboard but i dont know if its any good
            GIGABYTE "GA-8IK1100" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL
            http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...128-183&depa=0
            This is my preference, but I would suggest going with AMD instead of Intel since AMD rocks when it comes to games. And we kind of need to know what your budget is. On a budget with high limits, I would agree with the others and go with the ATI X800 or the Nvidia 6800, but, for a smaller budget, go with something like a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. The 9800 Pro can do around half scores compared to the other card for much less then half the price. In some cases, the 9800 Pro did the same or a little less then the the high quality stuff.

For a processor on the AMD side, go for the socket 939 processor and boards, as they are the best right now and will be AMD main socket for the time to come (in other words, you shouldn't have to upgrade the borad when you get a new processor). Unfortunately, I just cannot suggest anything on the Intel side, other then something between 3.4 to 3.6 ghz range of speed. I do highly suggest you go AMD though.

This is my opinion, and I hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by MRZigzz
              Unfortunately, I just cannot suggest anything on the Intel side, other then something between 3.4 to 3.6 ghz range of speed. I do highly suggest you go AMD though.
              I can't suggest anything from Intel if you're in North America or the U.K. Maybe in Australia. Unless you're looking at a mid-range video encoding system (which isn't the case), AMD will offer much better bang-for buck at every level.

If a socket 939 system is too expensive (the board and CPU alone will be a tad over $500 U.S.), a socket 754 system would be just fine. For a board, look at the MSI K8N Neo Platinum, the Chaintech VNF3-250, or the Epox 8KDA3J+, the choice being based on how much you are willing to spend. For a CPU, look into whatever you can afford. You can get a Sempron 3100, or any Athlon 64 between 2800 and 3400 (but get a socket 939 system if you can afford better, don't get the 3700 that you can also use). For a video card, try to get at least a GeForce 6800, but a Radeon 9800 Pro would be fine if you can't afford it. This is assuming you aren't just taking you current video card and putting it into your new system...

For a socket 939 motherboard (if you can afford a more expensive system), the Abit AV8 would be a great chocie, as would the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum if you can afford something more expensive. For a CPU, the Athlon 64 3500 is the cheapest solution, but you can also get a 3800 or FX-53 if you can get something more expensive. For a video card, get at least a GeForce 6800, but try for a GeForce 6800 GT or Radeon X800 Pro (or the 6800 Ultra or X800 XT PE, if you can afford even more).

Comment

ok thx for your replys i'll go with a AMD system then

Comment

here is the hardware that i pick out so far, let me know if i need too add anything esle to the list

Case: RAIDMAX Black Aluminum Gaming Case with 420W Power Supply, Model "668WBP" -RETAIL ($78.99)

CD/DVD: Sony DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive (Black), Model DW-D18A, OEM $76.00

CPU: AMD Sempron 3100+ 1.8GHz, 256KB L2 Cache Socket 754 Processor - OEM $123.00

Motherboard: MSI "K8N Neo2 Platinum" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL $149.00

Video Card: ATI AIW RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/CATV/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO" -RETAIL $275.00

Harddrive: Maxtor 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y120P0, OEM Drive Only $86

Memory: Kingston HyperX Series Dual Kits 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-2700 $121.00

Comment

You've picked a Socket 754 processor and a Socket 939 motherboard... Not a good idea ;)

I like your choice with the AIW though. ;) It won't be the greatest for gaming, but the AIW cards are cool.

EDIT: where's the damn wink smiley?

Comment

Originally posted by Mutineer
                      I like your choice with the AIW though. ;) It won't be the greatest for gaming, but the AIW cards are cool.
                      I don't, considering this is a gaming rig and you can get a GeForce 6800 for the same price. Unless you absolutely need the AIW (and if you don't nknow what AIW is, then you don't), get a GeForce 6800.
                      I'd recommend the Elsa GeForce 6800. More than twice the performance at the same price.

Actually, just about everything else needs to change, too...

Like he said, you got a socket 754 processor, but a socket 939 motherboard. Instead, get:
                      Chaintech VNF3-250
                      Retail Athlon 64 3000.

You've also got PC2700 RAM. That won't do...
                      Get a stick of this PC3200 if you aren't going to be overclocking. This Kingmax PC3500 is cheaper and will be better if you overclock.

I wouldn't recommend getting a case with a PSU from any company other than Antec or Thermaltake (might be a few other companies that make reliable case PSUs, though). But I wouldn't recommend getting one at all.
                      This Black Raidmax case is quite, and you can get it in different colors if you want. If you want something with a little more eye candy, choose something without a PSU or one from Thermaltake or Antec.
                      For a PSU, this Thermaltake 420W will easily be enough for your system, and is incredibly cheap.

You can get the burner and the drive if you want, but I'd recommend using whatever is in your current system, unless they're much worse. Saves money for other parts. Hell, I don't really know your budget, so you might be able to get a socket 939 system instead of the stuff I listed.

Comment

i dont got a budget if its good cost im goin to get it LOL

Comment

How about this setup is it a good running gaming system? and i want a fast video card the one i pick dont look good but i want tv out and that other stuff on the video card too just like that one i pick out

Case: RAIDMAX Black 10-bay Case, Model "268WBP" -RETAIL $26.00

Power Supplies: Thermaltake Silent PurePower, 420W ATX power supply.UL, CSA, TUV, CE Approved. Intel Pentium 4 Compliant $36.00

CD/DVD: Sony DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive (Black), Model DW-D18A, OEM $76.00

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - Retail $175.00

Motherboard: CHAINTECH "VNF3-250" nForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL $75.00

Video Card: ATI AIW RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/CATV/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO" -RETAIL $275.00

Harddrive: Maxtor 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y120P0, OEM Drive Only $86

Memory: Mushkin Blue Line 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail $92.00

Comment

Well I think this Elsa X800 Pro has everything you need, but this Powercolor X800 Pro has a great package and surely has everything you need. Both will perform better than a GeForce 6800, and much better than a 9800 Pro.

If you still have money to spend (no budget?), get two sticks of that RAM. You could also replace the RAM with some better stuff:
                            Two sticks of this Corsair XMS PC3200 would be quite good.

If you still think you can spend more, change the board and CPU:
                            MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum and Athlon 64 3500. If you still are willing to spend more (although I think it's wasteful beyond this point), you could get an Athlon 64 3800 or Athlon 64 FX-53.

You should probably get a different HDD, too. This Seagate 120GB SATA drive will be faster than an IDE drive like you chose and its warranty lasts five times as long. It's only a few bucks more, too.

Also, I'd recommend getting a third-party heat sink for your processor. You don't need to, but it will increase the life of the CPU, and you'll appreciate it if you ever decide to overclock. I'd recommend this.

Comment

but my budget on the motherboard & cpu need to be around $400 bot everything esle is ok

Comment

Working...
                              X