What power supply should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What power supply should I buy?

Its for a athlon 64 3500 with a couple of fans and a water cooling system. Im currently thinking about getting the Antec true480 PSU. It's kinda expensive though. I think i'll have to have atleast 20A on the 12v rail. Any tips are appreciated.

-c0ntra

Re: What power supply should I buy?

I'd say look for a good Thermaltake 480W. Thermaltake makes quality PSUs that should handle your system, but they won't cost nearly as much as an Antec, for the most part.

Comment

Something else to consider... I've recently finished building an Athlon FX box using the new socket939 architecture and I've been having problems with Antec powered systems locking down completely. I've researched a bit and it looks as though I'm not the only one to have had this issue, so if you're looking at the s939 variants of processor and mainboard, stay clear of the Antec PSU until they get this issue squared away. Damn shame too since Antec makes a fine power supply.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Clearly he is looking at socket 939 stuff, so I guess it's no Antec. That really does suck, too. Antec makes some of the best PSUs out there. It's really too bad that they're having problems with S939 Athlon 64 systems.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet it won't be a long lived problem. They make too good a product to let it fall to the wayside and ignore the issue.
          My Toys

Comment

Thanks for the tips. But do you think the 12v rail with 18A maxload on the thermaltake 480w is gunna be able to handle 4 fans and a water cooling system

Comment

I does in my box, as well as a PCI sound card and a power hungry X800XT PE board to boot.
              My Toys

Comment

I use X-connect, I have the following specs 3500, x800, Raptor2, water-cooled, three 120 fans, and I just started on my lighting project. I got around using one molex by having my DVD burner external enclosure. I love my X-connect looks cool and preforms great.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
                  I does in my box, as well as a PCI sound card and a power hungry X800XT PE board to boot.
                  Are you refering to the thermaltake silent pure power total watts viewer 480w PSU? Thanks for these responses.

-c0ntra

Comment

This one, it is the one I reviewed. It is the PurePower line and more specifically it is the Butterfly model. Works well if you have a case with a high reaching window.
                    My Toys

Comment

Cool. Does it work without the x-blower? 41 dba = ouch.

Also, would you recommend the lighting with a acrylic case that is blue neon themed?
                      Last edited by c0ntra; 09-09-2004, 02:21 PM.

Comment

It will work fine with the X-Blower. As for working with blue-themed lighting, it should be just fine with that as well. Blue is one of the colors and they are subdued colors anyway so while it will make folks look twice, it won't overpower your other lighting effects.
                        My Toys

Comment

Working...
                        X