Overclocking a P4 3.00 ghz 1mb cache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking a P4 3.00 ghz 1mb cache

I have the following mombo setup and wanted to know what other people were getting when overclocking with the same processor as me.

Asus P4C800E deluxe motherboard
    Intel P4 3.00 ghz 1mb L2 cache (product code bx80546pg3000esl 79l)
    1 gig of Corsair extreme memory
    BFG Geforce 4 6800 Ultra 256mb (overclocked version 470 mhz core)
    Antec True blue 480 volt power supply, running in a antec tower
    Corsair Hydrocool 200 EX water cool system, cooling both the CPU and GPU

My motherboard bios has the OC feature, so I have it set at 20%, which is running solid at 3.6 ghz, 41c under load. My video card is running at 49c under load.

My 3DMark03 scores are right at 13k.

The P4 2.4 ghz 1 mb L2 cache cpu can OC to 3.6 ghz, confirmed. So, I wanted to know what other people with my same cpu were clocking at.

Thanks,

Steve

Re: Overclocking a P4 3.00 ghz 1mb cache

I know a guy who couldn't get past 3.4GHz, but he wasn't using water cooling. Also, what speed is that RAM rated at? Those temps mean nothing on a Prescott (they can take a lot of heat and have the heat throttling function so even idle temps of 41c are good), so I'm betting your RAM is what will limit you. If it's incredbily fast stuff, put the RAM divider at 1:1 and manually OC the FSB of the CPU until you get way up there in temps or it it won't boot stabily. You should be able to get well over 3.6GHz.

Comment

In other words only se the RAM at 1:1 if its Pc3700 or higher since Yawg didnt exactly specify.

Comment

Hi STeve,

I have the following system which I think I will be learning to overclock with. Maybe I can get some tips. I currently have it OC'ed at 10% ASUS auto function.

I'm sure someone who knows what they are doing could tweak this machine but.. I am only learning, and I think I need better cooling. My CPU was at 40C last night playing FAR CRY 1600x1200 details maxed out, no overclocking.

I just decided to try bumping up the speed this morning. I think I need to increase the ram frequency from 400 to 533mhz. I get a very MINOR momentary freeze about every 3 secs of gameplay (w/NO overclocking). I think its the ram.

Someone help me Overclock this thing!

P4 3.0 E Ghz
        P4C800-E-DX
        AMPX 512Mb PC4000 (x2 for a total of 1Gb)
        MAXTOR 250Gb SATA
        SAPPHIRE Radeon x800 Pro 256Mb

Comment

OK, I've had some success... a few scares, but I'm learning.

I'm running at 3.4Ghz stable. My memory is 1:1, 3-4-4-8, FSB 900mhz and... all I did was set my XXXX (I forget the name) from 200mhz to 227mhz. I just installed better cooling but... I think I have problems with stability after that. I can play FARCRY with all the DETAILS maxed out, no idea of frame rates, I don't know how to get them to display, but its as smooth as silk, even my momentary lag is gone.

Comment

If stability is a bit of a problem have you tried with the Vcore (CPU) voltage raised by 0.25-0.50v or even the memory voltage set to 2.8-2.9v?

Comment

I haven't tried that, but what's just started happening is trees in FAR CRY are now starting to show up with red leaves and trunks... I suppose I should lower the frequency before I wreck the video card.

What do you think? Am I wrecking my equipment?

Comment

If you have the AGP/PCI Frequency set to 66.66/33.33 then overclocking is restricked to only the CPU and memory. The only damage you could do then is to the CPU if you use to much voltage but do keep an eye on your temps and try to keep them under 50C on full load.
                Last edited by wayout44; 09-19-2004, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

My brand new p4 3.0e processor, w/1mb cache, on an asus p4p800 deluxe mb doesn't seem to like manual oc-ing. I just updated the mb w/ the latest bios from asus. The mem is 1gb OCZ3700 gold. I have tried the 10% oc bios feature and that seems to work OK. I have noticed that my v-core will not go over 1.4v. Can someone tell me if I'm screwed as there is an icon on my new proc box that looks like a housekey. Using this same mb with a p4 3.0 512kb cache proc was oc-ing just fine at 3.55Mhz. V-core was at roughly 1.65v. Help!

Comment

U should be able to clock it to around 225-235-8 the FSB in the bios... in only using the northwood and same mobo, and i can easy get mine to 230 and even 236 with out any problem. but a friend have a abit ( its the one where the condensators are cool ) and he was able to get it to the presscott to 234 with alitte mod on the volt and the ram to 5:4 with a box cooler.. and it was running with full load with 58c... but the presscott is tested to 80C+ so not the big deal it gets around 10-15C hotter cuz of the 1 MB cache. thats the biggest problem with a pressoctt... but now that they have removet the northwood fom manufactering we intel freaks dont have much choies anymore.... /Smile

And with my config atm i get 19287 in 3dmark01 SE... but can get it to 20K plus with alitte tweak on the card..

Comment

Working...
                      X