Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win98 + PCIxpress?

Hi all,

Simple question, can a PCIexpress card be used in Win98? [the nVidia Driver download page for Win9x,WinMe at

says it has "Complete Support for nVidia PCI-E GPU's" but don't the motherboards need to give their drivers for the PCI-Express slot?(I thought that AGP do atleast) so the question comes up, do motherboards with PCI-express slots have the necessary drivers for Win98? or is there soemthing more fishy going on to get around that? The idea of buying/using Win XP is out of the question for me... I will not pay 100+ Euro for it.. and as sick as this sounds, since the networking on Win98 is so crippled many of the security risks on XP dont exist for Win98... course 98 likes blue screens more though,lol...

Best Regards

Re: Win98 + PCIxpress?

To answer your question quickly,

PCI Express will work on windows systems as normal, however, you wont be able to use ANY of the new express features unless you update the drivers for the O/S. This is where you get the problem, as microsoft are only developing drivers for windows 2000 and above. So you wont be able to update your 98 system to use the advanced features of PCI Express.

Gary

Comment

Which advanced features are you referring too? under win98 does PCI-Express only behave as a PCI slot, i.e. 33Mhz bus speed, ect, or does it behave like a "AGPx16" and the advanced feature missing is the ability to send data from the card back to the CPU at high speeds?

Comment

Quite frankly if you're using Win98 with a PCIe setup then you need your head red, update to XP because PCIe video features is not the only thing you'd be missing out on.

Comment

Yeah, If your going PCIe its basically stupid not to run WinXP unless you've got a legitmate reason not to run it.

Comment

Working...
          X