Bite the bullet! (going Intel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bite the bullet! (going Intel)

ok guys after much deliberation about which cpu to upgrade to, I did have my heart on staying with AMD and getting a 64 bit cpu but all I read these days is ppl having incompatability drama's so I might go with a P4/550 - Prescott 3.4Ghz/800 chip. I know that everyone says that AMD cpu's run games better but surely an Intel 3.4Ghz cpu would have to kick arse in games???? opinions plz? and what would be a good m/b to match with this cpu?

thanks!

Re: Bite the bullet! (going Intel)

What games?

A P4 3.4Ghz would just be a waste of money when you can get a Sempron 3100 (which isn't 64-bit, which is highly irrelevant) and overclock it to the point where it outperforms any CPU Intel makes. Oh yeah, the system (CPU + motherbaord + Case + RAM, depending how much) will cost less than a P4 3.4 alone. Overclocking the P4 is irrelevant at that would require faster RAM (meaning really expensive RAM) and probably some upgraded cooling to get anywhere, while a Sempron 3100 should do 2.4GHz on air, which is enough to beat the 3.4 in most games. And again, there's price. Or, if you wanted upgradability (seeing a socket 754 is somewhat limited in that area), you could get one of the new 90nm socket 939 processors. A 3200 would be better than a 3.4 in many games, not even counting overclocking, and it also costs much less. Whether it's upgradability, bang-for-buck, or both that you want the most, a socket 754 or socekt 939 system with an AMD Athlon 64 or Sempron is the only way to go for gaming.

Of course, if you aren't in the U.S., the prices may be very different. In the U.S., however, Pentium 4s just aren't worth thinking about for a new gaming system, ever.

There are no incompatability issues with AMD processors. If you have any problems, it's either bad luck with a piece of hardware other than the processor, or your own incompetence, which again, can't be attributed to the processor.

Comment

fanks for that info dude! (my heads hurts more now) ;)

Comment

And with AMD announcing price cuts today. And the 90nm processors. Were you serious about Intel? I didn't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by T Bell
          Were you serious about Intel?
          Maybe he wants a dual purpose PC/food cooker.

Comment

Yeah, those Prescotts run hot enough that your heatsink can become a nice little stove.

Comment

And what was that about compatibility issues. I haven't heard of any.

Comment

Well that maybe the case about intel running hot but any time you want to go toe to toe with my setup Im ready
                ASUS P5AD2 Premium
                3.8 Prescott
                PC5400 XMS2PRO 2Gigs
                WD Raptor 74Gig HDD (X4) Striped Array
                eVGA Ultra 256mb PCI-E
                Thermaltake AQuarius3
                I guess I can stop there, because I would not only be fragging your little AMD piece's of crap out of the water but I would be able to take a hot shower and eat a hot lunch. in doing so to your AMD CRAP!!! And as far as price on AMD well heads up Intel will be lowering there prices as well and im sure Intel will win the price war on this .

Comment

Yeah, I guess I'll just throw away my little AMD piece of junk right now.
                  Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                  My Toys

Comment

Yeah, that's soo much better than your FX, Darth. And with 2GBs of DDR2, you don't stand a chance...

Comment

HA HA HA Well when it comes to multi tasks I like to think that Intel holds the upper hand alot better than AMD , They BOTH!!! have there good points and bad no matter what anyone says. I have to admit that at one time I to looked into the AMD Processor, but went with Intel instead and have no regrets in doing so . You just go with what you can afford and have luck with. just do your research and if someone has a question at least try to remain byais on the subject. there's alot of fun in researching and building on your own with a little help of course. But the satisfaction in doing something yourself is an accomplishment in its self. So I appologize for the very rude behavior and promise it will not happen again, scouts honor Lol. AMD may hold the upper hand when it comes to gaming and Intel runs hotter than a fire cracker on the Fourth of July. But if you have the right case setup and cooling components you should never have a problem. And beside's maybe I like a grilled cheese sandwitch & hot cocoa when Im playing or what not

Comment

Originally posted by Ðë]\/[ØñÏ©†³Ð׆
                        HA HA HA Well when it comes to multi tasks I like to think that Intel holds the upper hand alot better than AMD
                        I'll agree with that to an extent. Any heavy multitasking will be much nicer on a hyperthreading P4 than a single-threaded Athlon 64. Dual-core Intel CPUs also seem to be superior to AMD dual-core CPUs in heavy multitasking. That being said, most of that heavy multitasking is due to user negligence, and should not require better hardware to handle. If you know how to use a computer fairly well, AMD will probably perform better in your multitasking situation.

For single-threaded applications though, I won't give much credit to Intel. AMD beats Intel in most video encoding now, which was Intel's only strong point in the enthusiast market. For any gaming, most multimedia creation (anything from 3D rendering and video encoding to photo editing), almost all kinds of servers, and regular use (provided you don't insist on using an excessive amount of trayed programs). But none of that matters because the largest market is the home desktop market and performance and price advantage don't beat superior marketing OEMs that won't change their mind.

Comment

Working...
                        X