Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best good LGA775 Intel 865PE motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best good LGA775 Intel 865PE motherboard?

Hello,

I want to upgrade my CPU to an intel P4 extreme edition 3.2 OEM CPU. I also currently have an AGP Radeon 9800 pro card (bios flashed to an XT). I'd like to still use AGP - as I cannot afford to upgrade the graphics card, nor the memory to DDR2.

I'm not sure what is a good LGA 775 intel 865PE motherboard. Any sugesstions?

Thanks

P.S. I forgot to mention, I also have Corsair EEC memory. I know very few motherboards support EEC Reg memory, but if anyone knows a motherboard that will support all the above PLUS EEC Reg memory! Maybe I'm asking for too much now?! Thanks again
    Last edited by worldwide; 10-23-2004, 04:17 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention memory!

Re: Best good LGA775 Intel 865PE motherboard?

I'm not that familiar with the INtel lineup anymore, but what will you be using the system for mainly?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Asus has the P5P800 and Abit has its AS8 plus DFI has its Lanparty 875P-T though this is based on the i875 chipset but whether you'll get support for your EEC memory I can't say.

Comment

Comment

If you've already got ECC RAM, which is expensive, a socket 940 system would actually be worth considering. The Opteron line has pretty fast processors (some of the faster ones being better gamers than the EE), and the Athlon 64 FX 51 for socket 940 should have an unlocked multiplier, if you can still find one for a good price. Personally, I'd just sell the ECC RAM and get a socket 939 system with one of the new, cheaper, 90nm Athlon 64s, though. If overclocking is really your thing, a Sempron 3100 is actually a great overclocker for very little money. It would still be a significant improvement over any [email protected] (a huge

Comment

Don't waste your money on the EE, check out any performance tests!
            You wont see more than 20FPS on certain games...and on some, the regular P4s perform better!

Keep your 2.9, thats plenty for most games, get the video card instead, you'll see MUCH more improvement for the money invested.

P4s usually perform better in applications, but AMD holds the crown in the gaming department.

There are several boards that will meet your 775/865(AGP/DDR) requirement though. Gigabyte tested the best so far.

As far as your "EEC"...ECC right? Is concerned, this is only a parity bit and can be disabled or used on a MB that does not support them....but if they are indeed REGISTERED, you will have problems finding a board as this is mainly for macs and servers.

That chip would probably go for a higher price on Ebay...I'd get it and sell it!

Comment

Working...
            X