No announcement yet.

16 bit Windows Subsystem... what the..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 bit Windows Subsystem... what the..?

I am not sure if anyone here has heard of this before but here it goes... When I try to install some programs once the installation has reached 99% it says:

16 bit Windows Subsystem

"C:\Windows\system32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the application."

I have tryed clicking on "Close" and "Ignore" but it doen't matter ether way.
    I have also tried looking for the file and it is not in the system32 folder. I have never seen this on any of my friends computers, or computers i have repaired.
    No one that i know can tell me what the hell is going on ether.

Any ideas, solutions, links to the same problem would be GREATLY appreaciated... Thanks in advance.

Edit: I have Windows XP SP2
    Last edited by Amd_Lover2004; 10-25-2004, 08:42 PM.

Re: 16 bit Windows Subsystem... what the..?

What are you trying to run when this happens and have you tried to run them in compatibility mode?

Comment

It does it with some games and it did it with 3dmark05 so thats y I coulden't use that..... Umm some examples would be AVG free version..(but I downloaded the Beta so that ok now).... I can't install updates for my Easy Tune 5 overclocking utility, there are more but I cant remember them because I haven't tried them very often... Oh another one would be Star Wars Rebellion but that one donsent matter that much.... as well as Red Alert 1 and expantions(these i have to run in win95 compatibility mode to make work on other computers) but they just dont finish instaling on this computer...

Diablo 2 Expansion didn't work ether...
      Far Cry is Another one
      Last edited by Amd_Lover2004; 10-26-2004, 12:58 AM.

Comment

I suggest you go here and take the steps mentioned to fix the above issue ;)

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324767

Gary

Comment

Ok thank you.... i am not at home but i will atempt this at home to tonight. The most important thing that is not working because of this are DRIVERS as I can not install ones like an ati drivers for example.(from websites)

Comment

Sounds like Spyware from 180 solutions combined with bargain buddy and probably countless others. I've been cleaning it off computers where I work the last 2 weeks. Just use Adaware SE from lavasoft..

Comment

Freeware or or do i have to pay for it...?

Comment

Originally posted by GaryGBM
                I suggest you go here and take the steps mentioned to fix the above issue ;)

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324767

Gary
                This did not work any other ideas.... I also coppied the files directly off of the cd and where can I get Ad-Ware Se.... I know where to get Normal Ad-Ware.... Is it the same thing?

Comment

Ad-aware SE 1.05 is the newest version of Ad-aware. It's available from the www.lavasoft.de site or most of the major mirrors (download.com, majorgeeks, etc.), and yes, it is Freeware (well, for the personal version anyway).

Edit: typos.

Comment

I downloaded Ad-Aware SE and I removed 616 files... including 180 solutions and that bargin crap. I have yet to try to see if this worked ill get back to you all later.... Aproximatly 1:00pm PST.

Comment

hopefully that should do it. as I said in my previous post I've been cleaning it off computers where I work for 2 weeks now.

Comment

I am Still Frustrated by this, the adware removal did not help. I am going to retry the link posted by gary when my WU finishes. But I doubt that the spyware/adware would have an effect on the installation or transfer of files though.

Edit: I finaly fixed it, There was a typo in the website so the file name was wrong when I transfered it through command prompt.

Thank You all, i can finaly enjoy the full features of my system... Thanks again.
                        Last edited by Amd_Lover2004; 10-29-2004, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to load my Microsoft Money and I get the same message. What typo were you referring to? I'm getting really frustrated. Thanks for any help!

Comment

This is what the web site says:

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue: <TABLE class=list><TBODY><TR><TD class=number>1.</TD><TD class=text>Insert the CD into the CD drive or DVD drive.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=number>2.</TD><TD class=text>Click Start, and then click Run.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=number>3.</TD><TD class=text>In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=number>4.</TD><TD class=text>At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:

expand <VAR>CD-ROM Drive Letter</VAR>:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt
                            expand <VAR>CD-ROM Drive Letter</VAR>:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
                            expand <VAR>CD-ROM Drive Letter</VAR>:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com
                            exit
                            </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
                            you do this and then find the files in system 32 folder and change to the proper names: delete the "_" at the end of config.nt_ then the same to file that says autoexec.nt_ then change command.co_ to command.com

Comment

I'm about ready to pull out my hair. When I type the first command I get this message

Cannot open input file d:\i386\config.nt_

Comment

Working...
                              X