Overheating and Restarting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating and Restarting

I just built my first computer and I am having serious overheating problems.

P4 3.2
    2GB DDR RAM
    Nvidia GeForce FX5700
    MSI PT-880 Motherboard
    80GB Hard Drive

I currently have two case fans, one in the front and the other in the rear. The case temperature sits at around 27-32C but the CPU idles around the 48-56C. I just got some no name brand thermal grease to put on the Heat Sink but it didnt seem to help at all. To make matters worst the computer restarts while in a game. Just wondering what I should do to solve this problem, is the computer restarting because of the high temperature?

Thanks for your guy's advice in advance.

Re: Overheating and Restarting

What does the CPU temp look like under load?

Comment

Unless it's a Prescott, that's way too hot. Get yourself some Arctic Silver 5 and make sure you properly clean off the old stuff. Idles of over 50c are unnacceptable, and you're probably getting load temperatures that the system simply can't handle.

Comment

Yes, get that AS 5 on there, that should help.
        But that IS indeed WAY too hot, even for a prescott!

CPUs throttle down when they get too hot, but your BIOS setting will(should) tell you your percent/temp to throttle, and the absolute shut down temp.

What power supply are you running?

Comment

Put some AS5 on the CPU, it shaved off a couple of degrees from the cpu but it still extremely high. Do you guys think I should get a higher RPM Heatsink Fan? It runs at 2500 I dont know if thats too low or not.

Comment

Originally posted by JFirestorm10
            Put some AS5 on the CPU, it shaved off a couple of degrees from the cpu but it still extremely high. Do you guys think I should get a higher RPM Heatsink Fan? It runs at 2500 I dont know if thats too low or not.
            That would depend on the size of the fan, larger fans run lower speeds than small ones. Also. please tell us what kind of Pentium 4:

Northwood @ 3.2ghz (800mhz FSB) {second-generation P4, and is what most P4s are}
            Gallatin @ 3.2ghz (800mhz FSB) {the Extreme Edition P4, the best, and most costly P4}
            Prescott @ 3.2ghz (800mhz FSB) {the new 3rd-generation p4, has a tendency to run very hot}

Those are the types of Pentium 4 that are at that speed. And there is a HUGE difference between them.

Comment

Higher RPM isn't the only quality of a heatsink/fan. Getting a decent $20 or $30 copper HSF ought to make a world of difference. Additional case fans are always helpful, too.

Comment

Its a Prescott.

Although I got the CPU temperature down to 43C with one of the case sides taken off. Its still restarting too.

Comment

Computer wont stop restarting even while idling at 43C, at full load its like 53-56C.

Comment

What power supply are you using (I'm faily certain Wayout already asked this, though...)?

Comment

Well, it seems to me that you've eliminated heat as the cause of all the restarting. Have you checked Event Viewer?

Comment

I am using an Enermax power supply. Where can I check this Event Viewer?

Comment

At what wattage is is rated?

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

Comment

This is what it said on the event viewer, anyone know how to fix this:

wuaueng.dll (1356) SUS20ClientDataStore: The database engine started a new instance (0).

Comment

The power supply is between 115V/230V

Comment

Working...
                              X