I really did it this time!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really did it this time!!

Ok maybe somebody can help me here. Me being the idiot that i am tried to overclock my computer more than it already was. First let me tell you my specs, I have an amd 2400 pushing out 2.2 ghtz, Asus a78nx delux, Pc 3200 512 ddr ram, 40 gig hard drive, and windows xp professional. I tried changed my bus speed from 166 mhz to 200 mhz i thought my computer could handle this, tragicaly not. It reseted and my computer said computer failed memory test and all i had was a black computer screen. I heard my computer humming but no signal to the monitor it was just in standby mode, so i figured i could maybe load the system defaults by acting like a blindman using a computer but that didn't work. Everything works it seems, i bought more memory to put in i put that in after shutting down my power supply then reseting that didn't work. I had a hard drive laying around the house i put that in same thing, i had a video card laying around put that in same thing. I don't know what else it could be, could it be my processor, or my motherboard, is there anyway i can get my computer back up?

Re: I really did it this time!!

Do a full-blown reset of the CMOS values. The best way to do this is to remove the battery onboard and leave it out for about 15 minutes or so. Reinstall the battery and you should get the original settings forced in CMOS. You will, however, have to adjust your settings to their previous values.

Remember, the JP1 jumper doesn't always work (don't know why). This is another means to force the CMOS values back to default.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

darth i just wanted to thank you so much i am typing this from my computer that i can use thanks to you, i would have never thought of that, thank you soooooo much

Comment

U always have to do that on the older MoBos cuz they dont have a crash free one also like 99% of the new mobos they will boot up and u are told to inter setup ( bios ) with a hit on f1.. so u can chance the values back again... but with older mobos u dont have that 2nd bios and u have to take out the batterri like Dart said or move a jumper on the mobo to clear it.... its normaly called CLS on the mobo... if i remember right... and its a 3 legged thingy where the jumper takes 2 at a time and u just have to move it clear the bios or reset it...... on some new mobos the bios is storred for 24hours+ so it kinda sucks if it doesnt have the 2nd bios option..

But happy to see u got it back up

Comment

[QUOTE=Darthtanion]Do a full-blown reset of the CMOS values. The best way to do this is to remove the battery onboard and leave it out for about 15 minutes or so. Reinstall the battery and you should get the original settings forced in CMOS. QUOTE]

Not last time I did it. I did the exact same thing in an OC attempt. Removin the battery did nothin - Had to have the bios chip replaced :(

Comment

That is sometimes the case, but that is used as a last resort. The battery trick is the next logical step after the jumper reset doesn't work for you.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Many Asus boards allow you to do a cold boot while holding the "home" key(I think) which automatically resets the BIOS to default settings. Check with your specific board.

Comment

Working...
              X