Computer Freeze After Long D/l'in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Freeze After Long D/l'in

I use to have this P4 2.4ghz computer. I think it waas the model before the C revision. Anyways, I recently installed a wireless card after I gave it to mah sister. The connection is either low or very good. It's nothing in the middle. I think this is mainly because of crappy netgear medel. I have 512mb PC2700 rams in there. I checked the FSB and the rams aren't being stressed as if it was in the P4 2.4C model. It has a crappy 32mb ATI card. um... wat else...

so im downloading limewire which isn't evena big file or a long wait for cable interent. Halfway down, it freezes. I can't even upgrade her to SP2 since I can't download over a period of time. It's not even that long of a period. It's more like if I download almost anything that requires a wait of 10 secs, it freezes. The new wireless card is D-LINK DWL-AB520 WIRELESS MULTIMODE 802.11A/B PCI Card btw. hopefully i didn't leave out any important information.

Re: Computer Freeze After Long D/l'in

Check the processor using CPU-Z from my signature. If it's a 2.4C, then you'd want to get new RAM since PC2700 will hold it back.

What sort of router or wireless AP are you using?

Have you tried downloading something with it using a wired connection (10/100 LAN or dialup)?

Are you using the basic Windows wireless configuration utility for your WLAN card, or are you using the manufacturer's program?

What kind of signal strength are you getting?

Comment

It's not a C. The PC2700 is fine. I'm using a Netgear MR814 version 2. I have not tried downloading something with a wired connection. Well, I have because it was mine before but that was a long time ago. I changed the graphic card, hard drive, and the wireless card. (10/100) btw I have cable. Um... I tried the manufacture but it takes too long to get a connection so I use Windows. My strengths are either slow or very good.

Comment

I'd test out a wired connection to make absolutely certain that the card is at fault.

How far away from the router is the desktop, and what objects (ie walls, floors) are in the way?

Are you using a 2.4GHz wireless phone?

Try Netstumber and see if there are any network other than yours. If there's more than one signal, than you'll want to change the channel of the router to as far away from the neighobring network's channel as you can. If yours is on 6, and you see someone on, say, 11, you'd want to change the channel to 1. This can be done via the router's setup page, which will be accessed by entering 192.168.0.1 into your web browser's address bar. The username is admin and the password is password, assuming you haven't changed them yourself. I'm just assuming all of this based on my Netgear, so it's possible, although unlikely, that it will be different for you. Post if you have problems getting to the setup page.

Comment

Maybe download a MBM5 and check your CPU temp. High temp can freeze although normally shut down the PC.

Comment

High overclock can freeze it too, though you usualy get a and I use Speed fan for looking for temps, its only one or two degrees off EasyTune's readings...

Comment

I forgot all about this thread... I did do a wired test and everything worked perfectly. I'm pretty sure it's not the card's fault itself. I bought 2 cards and both gave me the same exact problem. I have a dell laptop though that's not doing that. The signal from my room to the basement is very weak. That is why I bought a card with a wired antenna so I put it out the window. I also placed my router right next to the window. I'm pretty sure the weather wont have any ill effect on the plastic antena. If I disable the wireless conenction, everything is like normal but if it's on and the internet is use and the processor is at under load of work, then it will freeze. There are other connection in the area, weaker than mine because it's near impossible to connect to them.
              Last edited by jd53887; 01-25-2005, 10:44 PM.

Comment

What channels are the other networks running? Netstumbler should show you, even if you can't connect to them.

Comment

Working...
                X