Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bittorrent (connection refused)

Hey all.

I went through a bit of the WinXP tutorial from this site about a week ago (mostly disabling recommended services and whatnot, mostly because my HL2 wasn't running as well as it should be). So a few days later, I tried downloading some stuff with Bittorrent. All of a sudden, from whatever site I tried, I would get this error:

Problem connecting to tracker - <urlopen error (10061, 'Connection refused')>

It doesn't matter what tracker I'm trying to download from, it happens with every site, so it's definitely a client problem.

Is there anything in the XP tweaking tutorial that might have caused this problem? I know I should probably post this question over on some BT forums, but it feels like this out of nowhere problem may have been caused by the tweaking guide (which, btw, was overall a very nice guide, thank you :) )

Thanks!

Re: Bittorrent (connection refused)

Redo your services tweaking by going to blackviper.com. The only real probelm to the XP Tweaking guide was the horse**** advice for services, and the fact that it's still in there even worse.

But had you actually used bittorent before going through the guide? Do you have a hardware firewall? You'll need to forward some ports (or port, depending on the specific client) to get BT working at all.

Comment

the guides just saw what you can turn off. it doesn't say that you should. people that burn though the guides without thinking about what they are doing should expect to run into problems.

But with that said, there shouldn't have been any services disabled that would damage bit torrent. It doesn't require any special services to be running, aside from the basics.

Make sure you have the correct ports open. Ports/Firewalls make up 99% of people's problems with Bit Torrent

Comment

Originally posted by tuxfreak
        It doesn't require any special services to be running, aside from the basics.
        Some of which the XP guides instruct you to set to manual when they should be left at automatic, or certain network functionality can be destroyed, which would be a possible cause of a BT problem.

That said, I do agree that it's more likely a simple issue of forwarding ports on a router.

Comment

Thanks for the replies :)

In terms of burning through the guide without a thought, that's not really what I did. I actually needed to find out why half-life 2 was stuttering so much, which led me to an ati problem, which led me to the xp guide, and then i find out a couple days later that it was actually a hl2 texture problem =P I understood what was going on, and what I was disabling, but I wasn't sure if any of it effected BT directly, as I don't know a ton about networking in general.

Oddly enough, I got the java BT client Azureus to work just fine - actually like it better than Shadow's BT client too.

Oh, and yes, my linksys router was set to forward 6881-6889 for bittorrent... has been for the past year. Not really sure why it suddenly stopped working. It would be nice to know, but... since this java client is working, no biggy anymore =P

Thanks for the help!

Comment

My bittorrent has also just randomly stopped and nothing is wokring!
            Any ideas?
            Bex

Comment

Working...
            X