Video card question about old video cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video card question about old video cards

Someone had me look at their system today becuase the screen was getting blocks and lines on it after using the computer for a few minutes. I found out that the video card was the cuase of this since I tried it in another system and it did the same thing on that system also.

She will need a new video card to replace the ATI Radeon 7200 64mb video card that is obviously toasted.
    I'm just wondering what card she should buy to replace that card? Games like GTA Vice City, True Crime: Streets of LA, Call of duty, ect were on this system so obviously the old card must have atleast been able to run these games at low settings.

System specs are: Compaq Presario 7151 with a P4 1.4GHz CPU, 256 mb PC800 Ram, 4x AGP port.

I'm guessing an ATI Radeon 9000, or a GeForce4 440mx card would be a cheap and equvilent card to replace it with, or a Geforce FX 5200 card should do a little better don't you think? I think anything more than that would be overkill in that system.
    Any input would be helpfull and keep in mind this person probably doesnt want to spend much over $50 to fix this rig and doesn't have the money for a new one.

Re: Video card question about old video cards

The GF3 range is the only card that I know of thats still avaliable and limited to 4x AGP.

Although, I recently installed a radeon 9200 into a mate's box, and its running great. Was only $100 new.

Comment

Originally posted by Cataclysm
      The GF3 range is the only card that I know of thats still avaliable and limited to 4x AGP.
      There are no 8x video cards out there that I've heard of that can't run at 4x spec's.

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44
        There are no 8x video cards out there that I've heard of that can't run at 4x spec's.
        Ofcourse not - Which is why I said the GF3 is the only card I know of that is "Limited" to 4x. As in, can't exceed this specification. Obviously every card can be prevented from reaching 8x, by the mobo its installed into, but only the GF3's performance (to my knowledge as stated) is not hindered by a 4x AGP port. As this is it's peak speed anyway.

I'm sorry if you had trouble understanding that the first time.

Comment

The thing is that while 4x AGP reached its maximum bandwitdh 8x AGP has only just pushed past 4x (not by very much though, a few % better) and comes no where near to its full potential so I found your first post to be basically useless and pointless (the R9000 is also only a 4x part as well as early GF4 Ti's).

Spongebob, go either with the R9200 or FX5200 but I would leave the GF4 MX out as its way behind those two (that doesn't mean that you can't go to a slightly higher spec'd card than those two cards though).
          Last edited by wayout44; 12-07-2004, 02:48 AM.

Comment

a Radeon 9550 wouldnt be a bad choice either

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44

Wayout44, I know just about every 8X card is also 4X compatable but this 9250 card could possibly be an 8X only video card, at least it only list it as 8X. Just thought maybe you know forsure becuase its a good buy for the price.

Comment

Its that price cause its 64bit, and will perform poorly. You have to be wary of unlabelled 64bit cards in this price segment

Comment

As sr4470 has already said don't get that as its a newted version.

Comment

I'd go for a 9200 if any of them ever come back in stock at Newegg, otherwise I can't see you going with much less than this, which is really the minimum I'd recommend for a new video card used to play games such as those.

Comment

I would think a 9550se.. very cheap and pretty nice perforamce for what u pay for.

Also dont get the fx5200, terrible card. =(

Comment

As Yawgm0th recommended, a radeon 9550 (without the SE) would be much better, as i've already said a 64bit card will perform poorly

Comment

I'd actually be very critical in looking at specs on even a regular 9550 or 9600 as many of them are 64-bit but still labled as full 9550s/9600s. That's why I provdied a specific link. I can't see anyone that want to play any graphical game made within the last three years or so using anything less than a 128-bit card with DX9, preferably a 9550 or 9600. $20 or so can be saved by going with a 64-bit card or a DX8.1 card, but it just isn't worth it IMO.

Comment

Working...
                          X