Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make Parallel Installation of XP PRO Bootable

My system has two hard drives.

The first has a Win XP Pro OS on the front of the drive, the letter C: is assigned to this installation.

The second hard drive has another installation of Win XP Pro on the front of it, the letter F: is assigned to this installation.

I made the F: installation after the C: installation; therefore the boot related files are within the C: installation (e.g. boot.ini, ntdlr, ntdetect.com, etc.)

I have imaged the F: installation and tweaked to my liking. What I would like to do now is get rid of the C: installation but I realize that my system won't boot if I do.

What I am trying to figure out is what I need to do to make the F: installation completely self-sufficient (in other words, bootable on its own).

Suppose I just wiped out the C: drive and rebooted using my slipstreamed Win XP Pro-sp2, then log into the Recovery Console and ...what?

Would I have to recreate a MBR?

I would have to use bootcfg to make a boot.ini file

But none of the above get ntdlr, ntdetect.com or other boot dependent files onto my F: installation. Is it possible to simply copy the boot dependent files from C: to F: and then use the Recovery Console to fix the boot.ini file.

Do I have to physically change the hard drive which has the F: partition to my Master drive?

Do I have to flag the F: partition as the active partition (quite sure the answer is, yes) and if so when do I do this?

What I have located and read thus far in regard to all of this has left me with a vague understanding of what I have to do; but I am hoping to get some tailored guidance.
    Thanks
Working...
X