Rate my comp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rate my comp

Hey this is a comp that i plan on ordering and building. But before i spent my money on it i wanted to get a few opinions on things i might want to change.

Here it goes:
    Raidmax black 10 bay case 420w power supply
    LG dvd+/-RW16x
    LG 52x32x52x16 combo
    maxtor 160gb 7200rpm
    Kingston dual channel 184 pin 1g(512mbx2)ddr pc-3200
    gigabyte nforce3 250 chipset motherboard
    amd 64 3200+ 512k l2 cache
    gigabyte nvidia geforce 5500gt 128mb gddr3 128bit
    all this came out to 935$

The only thing i really use my pc for is gaming and thats what im trying to build my computer around while maintaining a 1200 budget. And this comp puts me well under that mark.

Re: Rate my comp

u meant 6600GT right? also, a 480W thermaltake would be better for the PSU

Comment

And the video card, it should at least be a 6600GT or 6800 if you want better than that the 6800GT is worth the extra $$$<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Comment

whoops yea thats supposed to be 6600gt not 5500gt that was a typo.

Comment

I would definately forget about the combo drive and use the $ for a better psu. Also before spending a large amount on ram, research the topic more and make sure you get what you are expecting and know how to run it.(better ram does not work better automatically)
          athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
          tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
          asus a7n8xe-dlx
          thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
          bfg 6800gt
          seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
          samsung dvdrw
          2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
          logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
          2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
          creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
          mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
          DFI infinity nf4 ultra
          thermaltake tsunami dream -black
          seagate sataII 500gb
          evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
          samsung sata dvd-rw
          2x1024 ocz black
          logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
          ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

I would get a better PSU and a Seagate drive. What RAM did you chose exactly? Are you overclocking? Also the motherboard itself is very important. We need more info then just the chipset. The MSI K8n neo2 is a great mobo. Also what brand video card are you getting? It has to be AGP and in that case I would get the XFX.

It might be better if you posted links to the products themselves so we can help you more.

Comment

I would stick with what you have. All hard drives are pretty much equal anymore, except Seagate does offer a 5yr warranty, while Maxtor and WD only offer a 3yr.
              Although, I see no reason to have a 2nd burning drive, so if you need a second drive I would just knock it down to a CD-ROM, unless you have specific reasons for a second burning drive.

Comment

OK well ill hit u guys up with the links so that you can further help me out before i spend my money on something that doesnt work.Keep in mind im trying to stay within the 900$ range if possible.

Here they go:
                RAIDMAX Black 10-bay Case with 420W Power Supply, Model "ATX-822WBP"

GIGABYTE "GA-K8NSNXP" nForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU

GIGABYTE nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express, Model "GV-NX66T128D"

AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 512k L2 Cache 64-bit Processor

Kingston ValueRAM Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

LG Electronics 52X32X52X16 Combo

LG Electronics DVD+/-RW Beige 16X Mulitformat Drive

Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, MODEL 6Y160M0

By the way what is overclocking..All i want to do is play games at fast enought speeds and with great looking graphics.
                Last edited by Mcdogg742; 12-28-2004, 01:20 PM.

Comment

HOLY CRAP!!!! That setup is exactly the same as mine, excluding the Video card... ;)
                  Never had any problems that were hardware related, mostly user error. That motherboard is Loaded with options, I like the 1934b, a lot faster... 8 IDE devices are also nice then you get 4 SATA drives on top of that. The case is light, and realy easy to cut if you like that sort of thing...

Overclocking is forceing the computer to go faster than it was designed, I have mine at 2.6GHz full time, dont worry about overclocking though, you wont need to for some time, if at all. And it voids your warrenty too :(

Comment

Its 1394b :)

That stuff looks just peachy.

Comment

would this comp be good enough to play these games World of warcraft,Matrix online, NFS uderground 2? cause thats really what im looking for is to play games along these lines of spec.

Comment

Why would you spend $175 on a socket 754 motherboard? It defeats the purpose of using socket 754 entirely... Socekt 754 is for cheaper systems that need more bang-for-buck. With a board that expensive, you'll get much worse bang-for-buck. Besides, you've selected a PCI-E video card for an AGP motherboard, which isn't going to work...

I'd suggest you wait for this motherboard to come back into stock. Socekt 939 and PCI-Express are the way to go for a system with this budget. Get a socket 939 3200 for your processor. Keep the same video card you had or go for a more expensive PCI-E card such as this.

For your RAM, this is better and cheaper.

Rethink your optical drive choices. There isn't much reason to get an $84 DVD burner and a $40 combo drive when you can get a better dual-layer burner for less (I'd go for NEC or Lite-On) and a better CD-Rw/DVD ROM for less. I also don't see much reason in getting a combo drive at all, since the DVD burner will burn CDs. I'd suggest a DVD-ROM drive for your second drive, unless you can think of a really good reason to have two burners.

As usual, I'd recommend Seagate because of the long warranty. However, Maxtor, Seagate, and Western Digital all make good drives, so any one will work. You can also go with an IDE drive to reduce the price. SATA drives are a bit faster than IDE drives of the same speed, size, and cache, but not enough so that you should cut money from another area of the system just to afford it. Get SATA if you can spare the extra money.

That PSU will probably be insufficient for a socket 939 system, though it would likely have been stable with a socket 754 system. As others have said, you should get a 480W PSU from a quality company. You can still get the same case and not use the PSU, though I'd suggest something cheaper since you're on a budget.

Overclocking is the at of increasing the clock speeds of your hardware, usually the processor, RAM, and video card. In other words, it makes them faster. However, it results in more heat, more power comsumption, and reduced life span (though not so much that it matters, in this case). There is a risk you can damage or destroy hardware, and it will void at least the processor's warranty, if not other parts as well (possibly CPU, PSU, RAM). I'd suggest you just get the retail processor I linked to and come back to us if you decide you want to overclock the computer so it's faster. Although, you could overclock the video card right away as that involves much less risk and, in this case, will be more beneficial to gaming performance. See www.ocfaq.com for help overclocking your video card.

Comment

Taking in all considerations from all the replys iv come up with this new system. Tell me if it will play the games i want and if all parts will work together. And if im getting my moneys worth. And if i need to make anymore changes.Systems parts:
                          motherboard
                          case
                          cd drive1
                          cd drive2
                          memory
                          processor
                          video card

Please let me know if this computer system would work. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                          X