Upgrading compaq 5423US 5000 series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading compaq 5423US 5000 series

I wanna buy a new motherboard but compaq is sometime proprietary. Does anyone know if this model is that way. And if so what can I do to upgrade my motherboard other then sending it into compaq which I won't do.

I just read on amazon about this model and it says it easily allows future upgrades. Hope so.
    Last edited by bio_zombie; 12-28-2004, 01:39 PM.

Re: Upgrading compaq 5423US 5000 series

You can't install windows stuff on a motherboard. I am not sure what you meant though. The problem here may be that your case is Mini-ATX so you will need a Mini-ATX motherboard. It would be better if you could post your current specs. CPU-Z can find that stuff out if you do not already know.

Comment

Originally posted by bio_zombie
      I wanna buy a new motherboard but some people tell me that compaq sometimes has windows stuff installed on the motherboard. Does anyone know if this model is that way. And if so what can I do to upgrade my motherboard other then sending it into compaq which I won't do.

I just read on amazon about this model and it says it easily allows future upgrades. Hope so.

Maybe they are talking about updating your Bios. If that is the case HP\Compaq has a user freindly driver update website listed below.

Just choose your operating system and download whatever you find that needs updating then install it. For instance the Bios update for you motherboard Bios would be listed under ROMPaq for Windows XP. For Windows 98 there are no newer updates needed for your bios.

Comment

Compaq 5423 US 5000 series

motherboard info
        manufacture: compaq
        model:0784h
        chipset: intel i845d
        southbridge: intel 82801BA (lCH2)
        Intel Pentium 4 1.6

I really wanna upgrade my motherboard and processor. I also have 4 memory sticks but my current board only has 2 slots so I want a motherboard that has at least 3 slots if not 4. SO my question is can I upgrade my compaq computer by myself with no problem or should I just start building a new one. I have $350 to spend.

Comment

"I'm afraid that most of the 5000 series used proprietary power supplies" found this on another forum.

Reading that most compaq stuff is proprietary does this mean I can't upgrade my motherboard without buying new computer?

Comment

Hey, I would say keep reading here and other sites about computers.... get excited about all thats going on .. ask questions ... save ya money ..... then make another using spare parts or make a total new one and have 2 computers ...WOOT !!

Comment

Compaq 5423 US 5000 series

motherboard info
              manufacture: compaq
              model:0784h
              chipset: intel i845d
              southbridge: intel 82801BA (lCH2)
              Intel Pentium 4 1.6

I really wanna upgrade my motherboard and processor. I also have 4 memory sticks but my current board only has 2 slots so I want a motherboard that has at least 3 slots if not 4. SO my question is can I upgrade my compaq computer by myself with no problem or should I just start building a new one. I have $350 to spend.
              Chances are that a new motherboard will not work in your Compaq case unless its a board from Compaq$$$ and they tell you that its compatible. Luckily a new generic case is fairly inexpensive at www.Newegg.com (lots of ATX format cases to choose from. Since you are upgrading the CPU and board you will need a better powersupply unit than the one you have in your Compaq system. Also, since you already have memory make sure you choose a motherboard that supports it.

Building a computer is simple to do if you have basic computer hardware knowlege but judging from your original question I'm guessing it might pose a challege. Luckily you found the right forum to ask questions about computer hardware so I'm guessing you will be able to figure it out with the help of people from Tweaktown forums.

You could salvage your Drives from your Compaq system to save on cost and use the same monitor you have if you plan on building your own system to save on cost but you will need these things to build your new system;

1. ATX case. starting at about $25

2. ATX motherboard. Starting at about $30

3. PSU (Powersupply unit) sometimes comes with the case. I'd use atleast a 450 watter. $0 to about $100, depends if you buy a case and PSU together or not. A good seperate PSU will run aroud $50 which would be better than most that come with a case.

4. CPU and heatsink. You can go with Intel or AMD CPU's but make sure the motherboard is compatible with the pin count and CPU type you decide to get. Get a retail box package CPU which includes a heatsink. $100 for something decent, $150 and up for something good. I recommend good becuase a CPU is something you ussually won't upgrade like a video card or something that is just a plug and play device.

5.video card, this can get spendy if you are a serious video game player, starting at about $65 for a decent one or $165 for a good one. You can get one equivalent to, or slightly better then the videocard that came with your Compaq system that is integrated onto a motherboard for free if you get a M-board with onboard video, but I suggest getting something atleast decent or good if your into video games. The spendier the video card the better it will probably perform.

6. Sound card, Most motherboards have a soundcard integrated onto the board which will probably be fine for you unless your in a band or something. Should cost you $0.

7. Ethernet card, just make sure your motherboard has one if you use a highspeed internet connection. Cost would be $0 then

Things to salvage from your Compaq system.
              1. All the drives. the CD\DVD rom drive, the harddrive unless you decide to upgrade this also then use the Compaq one as a slave drive for extra storage.
              The diskette drive in your compaq system might not have a faceplate on it, if it does not then you might decide to get a new one of these.

2 The modem. keep the modem from your Compaq system unless you want to spend $10 on a new one.

3. The IDE cables from your Compaq system should be reuseable on your new system if length permits.

4. System Ram unless the stuff you already have for your new system is faster, then don't use the old stuff becuase it will slow down your new Ram. Again make sure your Ram fits the M-board you get.

5. Keyboard and mouse.

6. I'm assuming you have an O.S. (operating system) you can use for the new system....

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head. You should be able to do all this for close the $350 or less (around $200) and have something better than that old Compaq system if you don't go too fancy. But now if you want fancy it might not cost you more. About $500 if you use the same monitor and your other stuff.

Comment

Hey thanks for replying. I went to my local DIT store and for about $250 I can get a case(with power,but if not you say 450 should be good?), motherboard, and new processor and that's all I need. I have everything else I need in my compaq computer(hard drive, cd and dvd drives,graphics, sound) I just wish I could say the brand names DIT had so I can tell if it's a good deal. All I want in my motherboard is it to be compatible with my memory which the guy at the store said it will be and get an amd processor for it. I'll still keep my compaq computer and put my old graphics card in it and start building up a 2nd less powerfull computer!(maybe I'll be nice and give it to my brother)

I video game a lot so amd would be better then intel wouldn't it?

Sucky thing is I bought comp at best buy and never got a windows xp disc. all i have is a recovery disc. Is there any way to contact microsoft and have an xp disc sent or something? Or will i have to buy xp all over again?

Another thing is I don't wanna order off internet because I want it right here right now! But if you think I can truly get an awesome deal that would blow away anything I can buy at the store I'll do it but I'd like to support my local business.

Oh yeah also changed earlier post so I don't look totally stupid, meant to say compaq is sometimes proprietary(not embeding things on motherboard like I said before). Don't know if mine is or not but I checked and can't tell if my cables are connected or not. It looks like there's a total of 3 wires connecting to motherboard in 3 spots, and 2 wires connecting to a card. Is it prioritzed like some compaqs? I have pics if anyone wants to look at pics and tell me. Then I wouldn't have to buy a new case and windows if it's not proprietary. Thanks again for all the help it is much appreciated :)
                Last edited by bio_zombie; 12-28-2004, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Sucky thing is I bought comp at best buy and never got a windows xp disc. all i have is a recovery disc. Is there any way to contact microsoft and have an xp disc sent or something? Or will i have to buy xp all over again?
                  You will have to buy a new XP CD but see the shop that you buy your new mainboard and CPU from as they should be able to offer you XP OEM which comes at a much lower price then the retail versions.

Comment

just talked to microsoft and my disc that just says recovery disc on it has windows xp on it so I won't have to buy xp again! WOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!

Comment

The problem that you'll likely come across is that the recovery disk will try and load hardware drivers that you no longer require and the new mainboard which will require different drivers which will likely cause havoc with your upgraded system.

Comment

Hey thanks for replying. I went to my local DIT store and for about $250 I can get a case(with power,but if not you say 450 should be good?), motherboard, and new processor and that's all I need. I have everything else I need in my compaq computer(hard drive, cd and dvd drives,graphics, sound) I just wish I could say the brand names DIT had so I can tell if it's a good deal. All I want in my motherboard is it to be compatible with my memory which the guy at the store said it will be and get an amd processor for it. I'll still keep my compaq computer and put my old graphics card in it and start building up a 2nd less powerfull computer!(maybe I'll be nice and give it to my brother)

I video game a lot so amd would be better then intel wouldn't it?

Another thing is I don't wanna order off internet because I want it right here right now! But if you think I can truly get an awesome deal that would blow away anything I can buy at the store I'll do it but I'd like to support my local business.
                        Buying stuff from a privatly owned store is expensive compared to an online outlet like Newegg.com but if you get it from a local store they might give you some tech support as where Newegg has none. This is a good thing to consider but I can say this, Newegg has a good return policy if something doesn't work right. I'm not sure what kind of store DIT is, so maybe someelse can tell you if its trustworthy.

First we need to know what your planning to buy. For starters I'd go with a atleast a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 B CPU if your doing gaming, since a few modern games recommend that already, Go for more speed if you want something that'll last you longer. And yes the newer Althon 64 bit CPU's are suppose to be grand for gaming but I'm just aiming for something that'll save you $$ and run modern video game smoothly at the defualt setting, NOT FANCY.
                        I'm guessing your Compaq system has an AMD Athlon or Intel P4 1.3 to 1.5 GHz CPU in it so a 2.4Ghz CPU will give you a very noticable boost. I'm hoping you have atleast PC2700 system ram. I can't remember what the Compaq P 5000 series shipped with offhand, maybe PC2100 but that should still be O.K..
                        If your planning on gaming with the system, I'd stick in atleast an ATI Radeon 9550 128 bit or better video card. You could probably find one at Newegg for around $70 or under refurbished. You could really spend $$$ shopping for a video card if you want something awsome but if you want something that'll make a noticible difference over that old onboard video or Geforce 2 videocard that your Compaq system came with, then the ATI Radeon 9550 would be the bottom of the line to start with an upgrade in my opinion.
                        The case is up to you but if you buy a case with a powersupply, atleast make it a 450w or better becuase they tend to throw in very cheap overrated powersupplies with cases, and you'll want something that'll be stable in your system. The more a Power supply weighs the better it ussually is, but ofcuase the base line system I'm suggesting here won't be a power hungry hog either.

Your motherboard brand and chipset that comes with it certainly means alot to someone that plays games, so find out what your getting. Go Nforce 2 chipset or greater for an AMD CPU and go with an intel 865PE chipset or greater for an Intel CPU. If you go with Intel be sure to stay away from anything that has an SIS chipset (verybad, slow, and unstable for gaming even with the most up to date drivers). I'm guessing you Compaq board has a VIA chipset on it which is'nt all that terrible as long as you update everthing, like the bios and all the drivers.

Windows XP can be spendy, maybe you should shop around, you might find a great buy somewhere. Ask someone who uses Kazaa or Google search if they know of any good deals. I doub't your compaq disc will work on your new system but just maybe it will. It doesn't hurt to ask them for a new disc, just tell them your upgrading your harddrive and motherboard or something.

Comment

I used a Dell disc in the install I did yesterday, might work, might not, im gonna be reformating my buddies computer so ill try the compaq discs and see if they work for you.

Comment

Working...
                          X