No announcement yet.

Moving Windows 2K-How to fix boot process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Windows 2K-How to fix boot process?

Hi Team 2000,

I recently bought a Dell Optiplex, licensed for Win XP, but with Win2K installed. I made an image copy of all partitions before booting up the system, so I am hoping that I have a usable Win2K Pre-eXecution-Environment.

1. I want to upgrade the original HD with a pair of 160 GB ATA133 drives and PATA/SATA controller. I have moved one of the HDs into position, loaded and tried a couple of older Windows images. Win9x boots up fine. Not surprisingly when I "slam" partitions, sometimes I have to refresh the Direct Drive Overlay to handle drives larger than 137 MB - okay. When I load and boot the Win2K PXE image, I get a message "ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrrupt - please re-install".

From hints in Windows KB, I am soon on a path to build a Win2K boot/repair diskette. Is it possible to fix the boot process (as opposed to doing a proper install with a Win2K CD, which I do not have)?

Thanks,
    qdvx

Re: Moving Windows 2K-How to fix boot process?

Boot up with the 2000 or XP CD and go to the recovery console and try using the command to fix installations (type "help" with no quotes once in).

Comment

Working...
    X