Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

overclock help, never done it b4(system specs listed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overclock help, never done it b4(system specs listed)

Hi. I'm new to this and any help would be super great. I use my machine for gaming so I wanna get the best performance out of it I can get. All my info is listed in the pics. Hope you all can help me
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bio_zombie; 01-05-2005, 09:42 AM.

Re: overclock help, never done it b4(system specs listed)

ignore me here, tried posting more pics but having trouble.

My memory is PC2100. Anything else you need to know just ask me and I"ll post it.

My board model is nf7-s2
    Graphics card: Radeon 9600 se

I used to get better fps with my p4 1.6 and 768ram. Counter strike runs worse and haven't noticed much difference in utk4. HELP
    Last edited by bio_zombie; 01-05-2005, 10:51 AM.

Comment

the video card you have there is 64-bit, so dont expect much improvement in 3d applications. also, if you turn off the power saving options i could see which model athlon mp that is (2500,2600 etc) and the actual fsb, it would help. the pc2100 ram may hold you back when overclocking. anyway, you need to go into the bios and adjust fsb up, as well as core voltage and memory voltage as necessary to ensure stability, a little bit at a time, testing after each increase. more voltage will mean more heat, so make sure you have a decent hsf and arctic silver 5, and a well ventilated case with a few fans. 1 more thing, its best to have just 2 identical sticks of ram in the system, especially when overclocking

Comment

What power saving options?

Comment

sorry i was thinking of mobile there...but thats not the real processor speed because i havent heard of an athlon mp that runs at 900mhz...its likely that you need to adjust the bios settings (correct fsb is 133mhz or 166mhz, depending on the processor model i.e. up to 2400 use 133, 2500 and above use 166). All nforce 2 boards set fsb to 100 by default, not sure why
          Last edited by sr4470; 01-05-2005, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Oh I'm not too computer savy so messing with bios I'd need help with. Could you possibly explain a lil on what I'd need to do in bios?

Comment

I havent used an abit board before, so you'll have to explore the bios until you find the fsb option, and then change it appropriately

Comment

I'd turn the FSB to 133, since PC2100 RAM is being used. Turn up the multiplier if the option is there. I'm also kind of curious as to why an Athlon MP is being used in an NF7-S2. In any case, Athlon MPs and Mobiles will start out with an FSB of 100 in that board and many other NF2 boards.

Comment

what is the best processor I can get for my nf7-s2?

Comment

An Athlon XP 3200 technically, but an Athlon XP 35-watt Mobile 2400 would overclock further than the 3200 and costs much less, so it would be a better choice. I was curious as to why an Athlon MP was being used because it's meant for multi-processor systems. I wouldn't bother with a new processor so long as you continue to use PC2100 RAM, though.

Comment

THat's the processor the guy at the store had me get. What ram should I switch too?

Comment

PC3200 or PC3500. Which processor did you get? I listed two...

Comment

didn't buy one yet because I don't have the money for it. Probably go with the cheaper one you recomended.

Comment

Just a question, how do you get to that menu to show all your specs, can anyone tell me?

Comment

Working...
                            X