Unsovleable Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsovleable Problem

I just got a new PC. I ordered it w/o a vid card. Went down to CompUSA and picked up two ati xpert 98 (gonna do dual monitor and this isn't gonna be a graphics intensive system). I got back, poped one card in the pci slot and started up xp pro and right before the welcome screen I got a blank screen. The keyboard was locked but the mouse still moved. I had to restart. It kept doing this. I took those cards back got a radeon 7500. Installed it and same thing happen. I got frustrated and formatted the hard drive. Then when I tried to install win xp it would get 2% done and start giving me errors and locking up. I couldn't get any OS to install. I tried xp pro and win 95. Both locked up on installation.

Now I was about ready to drop the system out of a f-16 going Mach 2,000 ft. in the air. I replaced the video card with and ati rage 128 agp card, swapped out the hdd and cdrom and took out all of the extra pci cards (one modem and a NIC). THe SAME THING HAPPENED AGIAN. WIndows locked up on the install. The only thing I can think of is that there is a problem with the motherboard. Its a shuttle spacewalker with a via kt266 chipset.

Here's the rest of my system specs:

Atlon 1 GHZ CPU
    256 MB PC133 RAM
    Western Digital 40 gig HD
    Win XP Pro
    Mitimista (Something like that) CD-RW
    3.5 inch floppy
    generic 300 watt PSU
    onboard sound
    Various ati cards listed above
    D-link Nic
    56k modem

Any ideas? :confused: :confused: :confused:

It does sound like a dud mainboard. Since you say you just bought the system, take it back to the retailer and tell them to make it right.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I'm just gonna have em take it back and go to another company. I just needed someone elses educated opinion.: peace2:

Comment

Working...
      X