Computer Hacked from virus attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Hacked from virus attack

Clicked a link and hit a bad website, that had a ton of pop ups, and my norton went crazy with virus alerts. I always scan my computer 2x week or more. Scanned it after this and there were 35 viruses that got on even with Norton? Forgot the name but their purpose was to get my usernames and passwords. Got rid of all my system restore cleaned before and after. BUT, they still got me. 5 days later they hacked into one of my webmail accts, got passwords for other accts which charged my paypal acct. All involved were helpful, and hopefully it will get resolved. Learned several things that I want to pass on:
    "Certain company" makes it easy to get new password
    Need to have separate bank acct for paypal, or could happen again
    Need something stronger to prevent hackers from getting my computer info

Also, if anyone has any software that works with Norton that could prevent it again, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks!

Re: Computer Hacked from virus attack

Do you have a firewall in place? Either hardware or software will help in instances like this.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Had a firewall. Thought I was protected. Waited, but now I installed service pack 2. I should have done it before, but worried about conflicts. I had pop up stoppers that usually worked, checked for adware and viruses regularly, never opened attachments etc., Still puzzled why Norton couldn't stop it from coming in, when it looked like it was picking them up. Even this time I erradicated the virus in the time it took to scan my whole computer. I still feel the need for added software, just worry about compatibility with winxp sp2.

Comment

a word of advice, Norton is overrated, misses lots of trojans, screws your system around and is entirely overbearing. I would suggest switching to AVG 7 Free. periodically use Trend Micro Housecall as a back up check.
        E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Originally posted by ANZAC_ELITE
          a word of advice, Norton is overrated, misses lots of trojans, screws your system around and is entirely overbearing.
          Add Mcafee to that also.

Comment

I continue to worry. I was always very careful about keeping my virus definitions up to date, and whats weird after I did the system scan they were detected, why it only stopped 3 from getting onto my computer I don't understand. I got 35 from 2sec exposure (the time it took me to close the windows). It seems that the person figured out my one online email password, and worked from there. Deleted the one website I had that had been linked to that email. Looked yesterday at different software, to add unsure what to do.

Comment

Working...
            X