No announcement yet.

Whenever I try to rename a file Windows XP wants an extention change also...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whenever I try to rename a file Windows XP wants an extention change also...

I'm guessing I have a setting messed up but I don't know what it is. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Whenever I rename a file, Win XP wants to change the file name extension.

Re: Whenever I try to rename a file Windows XP wants an extention change also...

what type of file? some file names e.g. .jpeg from certain capture devices list the .jpeg in the file name. when you rename you must leave the .jpeg or the file will become unusable
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Re: Whenever I try to rename a file Windows XP wants an extention change also...

Originally posted by ANZAC_ELITE
      what type of file? some file names e.g. .jpeg from certain capture devices list the .jpeg in the file name. when you rename you must leave the .jpeg or the file will become unusable
      This is the problem. For some strange reason the extension names are shown with my Word, Wordpad, and notepad files, not sure about any others, so when I try to rename something the whole thing has to be renamed or else I get a blank extension. For some reason my extension names need to appear or the file is useless where as before they never use to.

Comment

I see your point now, word docs on my desktop dont have a file ext and I can rename them arbitrarily without the error message. It appears to be something with the way windows is saving the .doc. I will see what I can find and get back to you.
        E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

When you rename a fiel, you rename everything, extension included, though you can just highlight the part you want to change and leave the extension. If you don't want this to happen with files like .docs, go to Control Panel\Folder Options and make sure "hide known file extensions" is checked.

Comment

My first thought here is that you have an option enabled through your "My Computer" settings that hides extentions of known file types. When you change the name of the file, you still need to tell the system an extention. When you simply change the name you are telling Windows you want to rename the file without an extention, hence the warning message. Even though you're not seeing the extention, it is still there.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

I'll run with yawgm0th on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                When you rename a fiel, you rename everything, extension included, though you can just highlight the part you want to change and leave the extension. If you don't want this to happen with files like .docs, go to Control Panel\Folder Options and make sure "hide known file extensions" is checked.

Thanks that was the setting I messed up. It must have happened when I twaeked settings in Nlite slipstreaming a Win XP disk special for this system.

Comment

One more question about a Windows tweak I adjusted on that same CD for this same system that I beleive is the cuase of this program called Evil Genius shutting down too quickly before it has time to run its proper shutdown proceedure and is cuasing the main application file to prompt the below error. I'm not sure I can pinpoint this one but maybe you have an idea. I'm sure its related to a Windows tweak setting. Any idea what to check here? The game works perfectly, its just that it prompts this error shortly after you end the program. On other systems that I didn't install this tweak enhanced Windows CD, this does not happen, so that it what leads me to beleive this has to do with a Windows tweak related to terminating programs quickly.
                  Last edited by Spongebob; 01-21-2005, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X