Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature - Athlon 64 3000+ on Neo2

Hi guys -

I'm running the rig below (just built it a couple days ago), and my temps concern me a bit.

According to MSI's CoreCenter utility, I'm running about 43-45 degrees C when idle, and load under 3dMark (not even that much of a load) gets to about 56-58. System temp shows about 10-12 deg. C. BIOS monitor shows approximately the same...usually if I'm in there a few minutes it's showing about 42-43.

Running @ default FSB and voltage. I have a Zalman 7000b-cu cooler, and Arctic Silver 5.

I know I'm within operating specs and don't risk damage at these temps, but I haven't even overclocked it yet. Do these seem high to you?

Also, if they are indeed too high...thoughts on what it might be? BIOS reading temp wrong? Take cooler off and reapply AS5?

Re: Temperature - Athlon 64 3000+ on Neo2

They seem high, but it could be an innacurate reading. If you don't get an instability from heat, I wouldn't worry about it. If the stability problems start, think about lapping the heatsink and reapplying Arctic Silver, and also try for better case airflow, since poor case airflow can ruin what should be perfectly good temps.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
      ...think about lapping the heatsink and reapplying Arctic Silver...
      What exactly do you mean by "lapping" the heatsink?

Comment

Sanding it really smooth for the best contact.

Comment

Its probably an inaccurate reading, my system says 58C under load yet when i touch the heatsink its only slightly warm, and ive reseated mine and re-applied AS5. My external temperature probe reports a temperature 10C lower

Comment

Originally posted by mgj2345
            What exactly do you mean by "lapping" the heatsink?
            Like joe said,

However, since sr4470 and others (this isn't the first time I've seen this) report innacurate temperatures on the Neo2 Platinum, I'd blame that and not worry about it.

Comment

This seems to have been a CoreCenter issue. I just downloaded the most recent update to that utility, and now I'm running about 33-34C at idle. Problem solved!

So, to all those peeps out there with the Neo2 (and other MSI boards I would guess)...use MSI's LiveUpdate, and get the most recent version of CoreCenter.

Comment

Working...
              X